ringing while idling

14 replies to this topic
  • brandonmotocrosslife

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:40 AM

hey so after my bike had been sitting around for about 2 weeks and i started it up fine but when i was reving the bike in neutral i heard some ringing coming from the clutch box like maybe some plates had been worn or something. so i opened the case to inspect the plates and everything looked fine. i also checked the kick starter idle gear to see if anything was lose there and nothing was loose. so i made sure everything was in correctly including the torsion spring which was a pain in the butt to keep in it's hole and put the bike back together. i did an entirely new oil change including the filter started it up and it was still making the ringing noise....

any ideas to what it could be??? thanks

• woods-rider

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Model and year would be helpful.

And maybe a video clip so we can hear the sound.

Edited by woods-rider, November 07, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

• brandonmotocrosslife

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Model and year would be helpful.

wr400f 1998

• brandonmotocrosslife

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:45 AM

cant give you a video but it sounds like change in your pocket

• redhurricane

Posted November 07, 2013 - 11:46 AM

without hearing it in person, initial feeling is crank bearings. really no way to tell without some investigation. Go buy a cheap harbor freight stethoscope and start listening to areas around the case, cylinder, head, etc.

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:08 PM

your 100% sure its internals motor not external?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Probably something loose on the exahust

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billyboypaints

Posted November 07, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Make sure it isent something stupid like the top of the rear shock .locknut not tight .or shock bushings beat .hope its something like that .bill

• brandonmotocrosslife

Posted November 07, 2013 - 05:25 PM

your 100% sure its internals motor not external?

yup

Probably something loose on the exahust

no everything is nice and tight i had to take the exaust off anyways to get to the clutch plates

• JDLowrance

Posted November 07, 2013 - 06:24 PM

There is an intermediate gear between the clutch hub/clutch shaft and the crank shaft. The nut can work it's way loose and sound like jangleing change (Aussie change that is). You have to pull the R-H engine side cover to access it.

Had this happen on two of my Yamaha 4 strokes. The nut will not come completey loose as there is a lock washer (similar to the CS sprocket nut lock washer) that prevents this but it's still anoying none the less.

Edited by JDLowrance, November 07, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted November 07, 2013 - 06:29 PM

i had to take the exaust off anyways to get to the clutch plates

What kind of exhaust do you have? This sounds very odd to me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:37 PM

yup

no everything is nice and tight i had to take the exaust off anyways to get to the clutch plates

Huh??

• brandonmotocrosslife

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:57 AM

i had to take off the header in order to take off the case

What kind of exhaust do you have? This sounds very odd to me.

i meant header sorry

• jackiefresh69

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:16 AM

bashplate?

• dukesilver

Posted November 28, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Ya, agree with bashplate.  Let it idle and simply put your hand on the plate.  See if the tone changes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.