Biggest moron ever=expensive mistake

39 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted December 24, 2001 - 08:11 AM

I hate this attitude. Sue happy people are the reason we all pay out the *@? for insurance. I hope you stick with your decision to take the guy's generous offer and forget it.

• Tom_in_KS

Posted December 24, 2001 - 09:34 AM

Bummer about your bike, I must agree with the other posts, take the $700 and run. It sucks but it's probably the best course of action.

In situations like this it's all about doing the right thing, unfortunately this guy is only half way there...

I took a guy's brand new CR450f for a spin and I ended up endo-ing it on a small jump. messed up the bars, smashed a radiator, break/clutch levers and all the plastic..

It was brand new and he was wanting to race it for the first time in 3 days. This happened on a Thursday night and Friday morning I called and arranged for all the parts to be overnighted to him on Sat morning so he could get it back together for a race on Sunday. I paid for everything including the overnight freight cost. I felt this was the least I could do for the guy. I felt like a total @#%# for wadding up the guy's new bike. I this case I was the rider and felt more than 100% responsible.

In your case this guy may not feel that responsible even though based upon your accounts he is.. $700 is better than nothing, I would grab it an go.

Thank god neither of you were hurt!

Tom

• Heartattack

Posted December 24, 2001 - 11:48 AM

I wasn't gonna really sue anybody, I hate courts more than anybody, and avoid them at all costs. I just wanted some opinions, and you guys are totally right, I'm glad he paid me some $$ I just wish it was enough to cover all the major damage, cause I'm pretty broke nowadays (I've got some pretty big monthly YZ payment's).. Let's all pass it on at the tracks to be extra careful when entering at any point, cause this sort of thing can easily be avoided. Now let's all go out and... Chop it up.

• mikeo

Posted December 24, 2001 - 04:53 PM

I think That when you ride at a motocross track, you ride at your own risk. Your lucky the guy paid you anything.

• Dave_S

Posted December 24, 2001 - 06:41 PM

OK, Sorry but this is real long...

I would be thrilled that to be getting more than the $0 that I would expect, take the $700 and run.

OTOH, This brings up a good point. 100% of us were complete beginners at some point in the memorable past. Riding skills, confidence, racing savvy and track etiquette are not born into us. They must be learned. Hopefully the first time most of us went to the track we had someone with us that had both the ability and the patience to teach us at least some of the most fundamental safety items.

Such as:
Hold your line. ESPECIALLY OVER JUMPS AND IN TURNS!
When a faster rider comes up behind you, simply maintain your line and if you must slow down A LITTLE. The other rider will have a much better chance to pass you safely if you don't make any dramatic maneuvers like turning around to see what is behind you. (Ignoring what is in front of you!)
DO NOT CUT THE TRACK!
Get up as soon as you can when you fall so you don't get landed on.
Above all, If you are not sure about something, ask people around you until you get an answer that you can believe in. Don't just figure it out on your own while putting yourself and others in more risk than necessary.

When we go to a track, we sign a release of liability. We don't sign a death wish. Safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility. Track owners, flaggers, other racers and YOU!

Now I am certainly not trying to be the self-appointed safely marshall here or anywhere but MX is risky business all by itself, there is no point in adding fuel to the fire. If I get hurt I can't ride and that bums me out.

This weekend I was at a track that allows open practice until things get busy enough to warrant splitting practice for big bikes and little bikes. There was a kid on a 50 having trouble controlling his bike over some of the peaked jumps, feet off the pegs wandering around the track. My first fast lap I saw him fall between a set of doubles a'ways ahead and slowed and stopped in front of him to make sure everyone could see him since he was pretty small. About ten laps later I hit the hoops and jump a pretty small table. In the air I see this kid and his bike lying on the ground on the landing area. My rear tire landed about 1 foot from this kids head. 12 inches to the left and many people's lives would have been forever altered. I pulled to the front of the jump and dropped my bike to block him and went to see him. He was just lying there and when he saw me he got himself up. I got him and his bike off the track and went to the track owner and asked them to split practice (which they promptly did). As I was talking to the owner, I saw the kid ride across the track the wrong way without ever lifting his head to check for traffic. This was at the end of a pretty high speed rhythm section that leaves little opportunity to change course. The track owner went to speak to the kid's parents and I went back to my truck.

The first time I helped the kid up his goggles were hanging from his bars. The second time he didn't have them with him at all. I was amazed and horrified that this kids parents would put him on a MX track with 20 other riders on full size bikes with no goggles and insufficient skill to control his bike and with NO SUPERVISION!

I don't and can't believe that these parents were trying to kill or maim their son intentionally. They just didn't know any better. The parents should have taken the time to learn and teach some track safety and etiquette to their son. The track owners should have split practice sooner even if they made the mini guys wait an extra 1/2 hour to hour to pack in the mud (and had to hear from the parents 'why cant my son ride blah blah blah'). I should have taken the time to go speak to the parents and make sure they understood the consequences of a collision between me and their kid or a rock from the rear wheel of a 250 and their kid's eye.

The next time I am in that situation, I will take the time (and patience) to offer my experience to the rider or parents and at least try to make a difference. I will also talk to the track owners and ask them to hand out some sort of printed flyer that covers track safety and etiquette. I have seen attempts at this at other tracks and I can remember when I would have loved to get something like that so that I didn't have to figure out what was right and wrong by getting yelled at from other riders.

Sorry for the dissertation and if you are still reading thanks.

Dave S
Phoenix, AZ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:23 PM

Graphics and Plastic? Lawsuit? You should sell your bike. You scare me more than the idiot does. But it kinda makes me wonder, Whats my collar bone worth?

• jamracing

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:37 PM

Hey Heartattack, I have a spare Pro-Circuit R-304 full system if you want it. I'll let it go for $150, and that will leave you more cash for a good helmet.

• Heartattack

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:41 PM

You need to pay attention and read what I have wrote before you make any judgements about me. If you had you would realize your post is irrelevant and unneccesary. (how many times did I say I could care less about the scratched plastic) Learn to read, it'll do your life wonders.

• Heartattack

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:42 PM

You need to pay attention and read what I have wrote before you make any judgements about me. If you had you would realize your post is irrelevant and unneccesary. (how many times did I say I could care less about the scratched plastic) Learn to read, it'll do your life wonders.

• Heartattack

Posted December 26, 2001 - 10:43 PM

That was to Shawn MC by the way, thanks for the offer, I'l have to think about it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToddW

Posted December 27, 2001 - 08:05 AM

It's guys like Heartattack and Mike in Silicon Valley that are going to ruin our sport and make it like every pansy, money hungry, yuppie sport out there. With that said, morally should he pay you? Yes! Should you slap him in the helmet and tell him "what the F*** were you thinking?, you could have killed us"? Yes! Should you ask, expect, of demand he pays you anything? No! Your truly lucky the guy is as nice as he is and gave you anything! As for the guy that had the truck pull on the track, I would demand the person be fired before I return to that track. It truly sucks to have your day ruined by someone so stupid but, there is a code of ethics among most dirtbikers and suing goes against it!

Later

P.S. Take a hint from those that are so helpful, like the guys that donated gear for the foster son. Most of the people here are a great bunch!

• Heartattack

Posted December 27, 2001 - 09:17 AM

HEY TODD,LIKE SHAWN MC, YOU TOO NEED TO READ THE WHOLE STORY. iT'S NOT "GUYS LIKE ME" THAT RUIN THE SPORT SO S.M.D., AND BY THE WAY, WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT MOTOCROSS GETTING "RUINED". MAYBE IT'S "GUYS LIKE YOU!" THAT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT ALL THE FACTS THAT "RUIN" MOTOCROSS. MAYBE IT'S DIPSH!TS WITH THEIR HEADS UP THEIR A$$ THA RUIN PEOPLE'S BRAND NEW BIKES AND DON'T PAY TO FIX THEM THAT ARE "RUINING" MOTOCROSS. PERSONALLY I DON'T THINK THE SPORT IS BEING RUINED BY ANYTHING, BUT IF YOU DO, THEN FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO BECAUSE YOUR "RUINING IT" FOR THE REST OF US.

• Heartattack

Posted December 27, 2001 - 09:18 AM

HEY TODD,LIKE SHAWN MC, YOU TOO NEED TO READ THE WHOLE STORY. iT'S NOT "GUYS LIKE ME" THAT RUIN THE SPORT SO S.M.D., AND BY THE WAY, WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT MOTOCROSS GETTING "RUINED". MAYBE IT'S "GUYS LIKE YOU!" THAT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT ALL THE FACTS THAT "RUIN" MOTOCROSS. MAYBE IT'S DIPSH!TS WITH THEIR HEADS UP THEIR A$$ THAT WRECK PEOPLE'S BRAND NEW BIKES AND DON'T PAY TO FIX THEM THAT ARE "RUINING" MOTOCROSS. PERSONALLY I DON'T THINK THE SPORT IS BEING RUINED BY ANYTHING, BUT IF YOU DO, THEN FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO BECAUSE YOUR "RUINING IT" FOR THE REST OF US.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 27, 2001 - 10:36 PM

Heart you need to step back and look at your situtation. The guy actually offered you 700 bucks. The guy that broke my collar bone didnt even stop (i dont think). At least I dont remember him stopping, I hit the ground awful hard. My point is, you should drop to your knees and thank God Almighty that you didnt get hurt bad, then write a thank you letter to everyone of your gear makers for keeping your a.. safe. I know having your scoot trashed sucks, been there done that, Ive got a stock pipe Ill sell ya for 100 bucks if ya want it. It aint new by any stretch, but its not bent or crushed anywhere. If ya want it, my email is AmerimaxShawn@aol.com. Lawsuits are what got the Original Saddleback park closed, I understand your point, but I think your disgust for this idiot is coloring your judgement a bit. Actually, you handled this better than I did the last time something like this happend to me. I hit a drunk in a Honda Odessy back in 82' on my brand new CR 250. The bike was on top of the buggy kinda wedged between the roll bars upsidedown. I was laying on the ground reeling in knee pain, but took great satisfaction watchin the pipe and radiator coolant burn the shi/ of him. I actually stood up and took a seat on a rock until someone else showed up, then i just watched while they pryed my bike out of where it was. So I guess you were better that I. Although my frame was bent beyond repair. That wasnt cheap.

• ToddW

Posted December 28, 2001 - 08:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heartattack:
[QB]HEY TODD,LIKE SHAWN MC, YOU TOO NEED TO READ THE WHOLE STORY.

OK, What am I missing? You expect someone else to pay for a sport you chose to enter. It's not like you were out in public, on your way to work etc. I think you need to look at the other posts here and see, YOUR WRONG! Shawn is RITE! You need to write a thank you letter to this guy for giving a S*** about you. Look around buddy, your the only one that feels you are owed something. Again, I feel for your crash and the stupidity of some people but, keep the sport friendly not a lawyer pissing match. Our sport will be gone before you blink an eye if people start this S***. Look at Desert racing the Eco-Nazis and their Lawyers have taken over (we have two places left in CA to race). It's not that they're rite it's that they tie everything up in court. Please let me know what you wear when you ride, so I don't stop and ask if your OK. I don't need to be sued too.

Good Luck,
Todd

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 29, 2001 - 04:06 AM

I don't want to fan the flames of this thread, but I do see several posts up where Hearattack mentions that he wasn't going to sue anyone. Lets not get mad at someone for asking for other peoples opinions..

• fenrus_WFO

Posted December 29, 2001 - 06:25 AM

I was watching a national top pro practice on a track full of all types of riders. He was going about half speed in traffic and not doing some jumps that were crowded. However some riders were jumping no matter how crowded the jump was.
When you see squids and beginners around ride defensively or load it up to be safe.

• ToddW

Posted December 29, 2001 - 01:13 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
Hearattack mentions that he wasn't going to sue anyone. Lets not get mad at someone for asking for other peoples opinions.[/QB]

True, True, He did say, "should I sue him?"

To me that sounds like he's contemplating it.

Also, things like "I think he owes me all of It." sound like a threat of action.

I guess that's the made thing about the Internet, you can't here the tone of someone's voice. But typing to me, in CAPS is yelling and shows he's upset at anyone that doesn't see it his way. Again heartattack wanted opinions but, maybe only opinions that agree with him?

Later
Todd

Happy New Year to all!

• dheard4992

Posted December 29, 2001 - 01:20 PM

i hope the guy that offered the 700 reads all this and says screw it and keeps his 7.

• Bill

Posted December 30, 2001 - 03:25 AM

Back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.