correct technique for steep hills

9 replies to this topic
  • iron_savior

Posted January 01, 2004 - 12:00 PM

just wanted to know - how do you guys tackle steep ,rutted
gravel type hills, do you stand up or sitdown,
i tried sitting down ,thinking its better to keep your weight on the rear wheel,but i found i had no control over
the front wheel,

it took me a good hour to get up this hill , as i was out by myself in the middle of no where.,eventually i just gaesd it as hard as i could ,nearly flying over the mountain edge, dont ever want to be in that situation again
it was even harder falling off halfway up, picking the bike up turning it around ,riding it back down , and then trying again, i did this 6 times,

this was scary stuff

Posted January 01, 2004 - 03:06 PM

I am not a expert but this is how I do it, I may stand up at the bottom of the hill but I sit down going up and lean forward seating on the gas tank I go as fast as possible you can always slow down going up hill but its hard to speed up with out fliping over towards the top. :)

• larry650

Posted January 01, 2004 - 03:48 PM

Yep just like Lewisclan reports. You can modulate the power going to your rear wheel by using the clutch too. This can keep you driving up the hill with out losing the forward momentum you would by chopping the throttle. :)

• Redtractor

Posted January 02, 2004 - 04:56 AM

I would have to agree with putting your weight over the front and keeping even throttle just keep your momentum all the way up if possiable and in the sitting position just my 2cents and a couple of pics climbing a coal slag pile in pa the close up is kinda of a good idea but I was loose in the saddle :) had hitt some pretty big rutts\ rocks on the way up :D

• scorch

Posted January 02, 2004 - 09:39 AM

Damm, thats one steep hill. I got to get a video of you climbing that hill. Thats crazy. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Redtractor

Posted January 02, 2004 - 09:57 AM

That was the day we all rode together we went over there in the afternoon n played!!! woowhoo I want bigger the pig just grunts up them!!!

• iron_savior

Posted January 02, 2004 - 11:45 AM

thanks guys for the info, keen to get backout there
and re-try

my hill was about as steep as the pic you posted red tractor,just shorter, i think what made it more difficult , cause it was a logging track, so it was scattered with pine tree logs and
branches .as well, as i was running a pirelli MT 70 rear tyre.

• Carlisle1972

Posted January 02, 2004 - 10:01 PM

momentum is key and balance :)

• doctorleevil

Posted January 04, 2004 - 01:52 AM

As someone who did this last week,

Make sure you got some good nobbies before attempting (made a huge mistake last week with the wrong tires)

Momentum is key, if you find yourself slowing down to maneuver through the ruts, you won't have the power to get out of them

• NorCalBusa

Posted January 06, 2004 - 07:34 PM

How ya start the hill mostly determines how the rest of it goes. So if you get off to a poor start; abort & just circle back for a better run.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.