Stock header w/ Slip On vs 08/09 YZF Full Exhaust

2 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:22 PM

On my 09 WR450, how does the stock header w/ Slip On like a Dr.D compare to the stock 08/09 YZ450F Full Exhaust that I have on now? It is the "shorty" pipe that has a real fat diameter head pipe.

image.jpg image.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:07 AM

The Shorty pipe on the Yz450 gave that bike a smooth low end feeling. At the track you would need to get on it a little harder out of a corner but that was all I noticed between the two. Riding it offroad I actually liked the power curve down low, it was a little more forgiving and made riding technical sections easier. If that's what your use to then the DR.D is going to feel a little more snappy off idle, hit a little harder in mid and feel about the same up top.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:14 AM

The YZ header is a few mm larger in diameter.

This helps top end and over-rev, at the expense of off-idle torque.

The DR D Muffler is larger in core diameter over the YZ muffler.

It is the same type of  difference as the Header.

If you got a Dr D header to go with your Dr D muffler, you would be in the best of both worlds, as the pipe would then be 'tuned' for the exhaust pulses, and you would scavenge more at all rpms. 

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.