2001 yz426f valve help!

8 replies to this topic
  • tantheman

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:32 PM

hello thumper talk people! i am brand new to 4 stroke engines. i just got a 2001 yz426f. it has low compression when i bought it and needs the shims replaced. i knew this coming in. but all i traded the guy was a xbox and a tv. so i thought i would just take a chance. lol. so i looked up videos and got the manual and everything and know the clearance for the valves and mostly know how to do it. so what i am asking are what shims do i need to buy? where is the best place to get them and what is a good price for them? or just tell me some helpful information about this bike! thanks!

• YzFoFiddy

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:12 PM

I actually just shimmed a 01 yz426 with my buddy this past Friday. I just traded him the shims that were in the bike for some out of my shim kit. It's the Hot Cams shim kit

• YzFoFiddy

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:15 PM

I accidentally hit send on that. You'll have to measure the valves and pull out the shims that are in the bike before you can determine what size shims need to be installed in the bike.

• tantheman

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Would it just be better to take it to a bike shop and have them take care of it? Or would they try to make me pay an arm and a leg for it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YzFoFiddy

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I do all of my maintenance and repair on everything I own myself. Shimming valves are pretty easy in my opinion.

• tantheman

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'm just pretty new to 4 strokes. I have seen plenty of videos and online stuff and in the manual I've read a lot. I'm just not sure on the exact measurments on what I need them to be. There are a lot of measurments that look like the ones I need but not sure. Do you know what it exactly is called? I think it's the cam shaft to cap clearance but again I'm new to this. Lol.

• The_Vernsker

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Do you have a manual for the bike? If not you can download one here at yamaha-australia.com here is a link: http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php

Shimming isn't a hard think to learn. A shop might only charge you 40 bucks to do it. But if they see anything in the engine they might twist your arm to do more work than is necessary and that adds up quick. 

Read through the manual and it should give you a step by step instruction on replacing the shims. plus there are tons of guys on TT willing to help you through the steps. There are many tricks so that you dont have to deal with re-timing the engine ever time you shim the valves.

First you will measure the clearance. If the clearance is off you will need to pull the shims and measure them. You then could calculate what size shim you need to install. For example, if your clearance is .01 and it needs to be .10 you will buy a shim that is .09 smaller than what you took out.

A hotcams shim kit is around 75 bucks and comes with a bunch of difference sizes that are usable on many different bikes. If you don't plan on doing valve work in the future it is probably cheaper to buy individual shims.

the parts department at most dealers will sell you individual shims for 4 or 5 bucks which i think is a rip-off. The cheapest way to buy replacement shims is to buy the proX brand shims at rockymountainatvmc.com for 2 bucks a piece. 

• brandonvick83

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:48 PM

your manual should have a table in it that tells you what shim you need given the clearnce and the shim currently being used

• tantheman

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:55 AM

I also need a new bolt for the oil filter cap. Where do you think I can get one of those at?

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.