Crossbar on handle bar or no crossbar.

4 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Goin too try a new set of bars on my 2012 yz is the pro taper evo a decent bar. I want too get the windam bend since it seems too be what I'm looking for and comes recomended by other tt members. Should I stick with no cross bar. Thanks in advance.

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:19 AM

I believe the biggest difference between having the non-crossbar style vs crossbar is that they offer more flex.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks. That does seem too be the main difference I hear people talking about do you think I'm correct too assume for a 32 year old novice mx racer and occasional week end trail rider that is a benifet. I have heard the cross bar makes them a little stronger in the event of a crash I am not worried about that because if or should I say when I crash that hard if all I have is a set of bent bars I will be a happy camper. Thanks again.

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:48 AM

The only time I ever noticed the bar flex was years ago at an mx track (whoops/landings mostly) while riding a friends bike when mine had the Renthal 7/8" bars. After that I switched to the 1 1/4" Protapers and I can't say I really feel the flex anymore but that's just because I'm used to it. One thing is that IMO the 1 1/8" Protapers are very strong bars. I have bent a lot of bars over the years including the 7/8" Renthals, 1 1/4" Renthals, (snapped) an 1 1/8" TAG set but have yet to bend the Protapers. That's just been my experience, hope that's helps.

• Yzflier977

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:07 PM

I currently run the pro taper twin wall with no cross bar and I ride mx exclusively and personally love the amount of flex. I used to run the 7/8" with cross bar and broke a few pairs of those over the years. I've had some pretty good crashes since switching to the pro tapers and have yet to bend them at all. I don't think you'll go wrong switching to n cross bar, just my 2 cents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.