Bike level

3 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted November 03, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've been curious about this. How do you guys make sure your bike is level? If you change tires sizes, suspension etc. what do you measure to make sure it's level. Do you put it on a stand and measure each tire to ground? Do you put a level on the bottom of frame? I really have no idea.

Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Level?

You measure suspension sag, and adjust for approx 30% rider sag in front and 25/100mm in the rear.

You raise and lower front fork clamps to change steering geometry.

You change heights of seats, bars, and pegs.

... and that's it.

But you do not measure 'level'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:35 PM

So even before a new bike is even sat on, the manufacturer's don't have a set spec for being level? Forks to high or rear to low etc. They have to come somewhat level and what are their guidelines? I guess I'm trying to find that starting point, then adjust sag etc from there. This isn't for my WR, but I like this forum. This bike has totally different forks and rear shock over stock.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2013 - 05:52 PM

There is no such thing as factory level.

Where would you put the level?

Who cares, if the springs are all wrong, if it's level?

I think perhaps you do not understand the concept of static and race sag.

You are not adjusting anything be spring weight and compression.

This will get you into the 'golden'  handling that all manufacuers build their bikes to meet.

Without knowing your weight, they cannot meet this goal.

You have to perform the measurements and spring changes to make it happen.

The static sag is nearly the same for all bikes:

front = 15% of travel

rear 25-30mm

Race sag too:

front = 30% of travel

rear = 100-105mm

Unless you have the wrong suspension components, there is nothing else to know.

Perhaps you should divulge just what you have

If you have suspension components that were made for your bike......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.