Auto clutch for YZ400f

6 replies to this topic
  • YZF Shifter

Posted November 03, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is an auto clutch available for a YZ400f ? (Rekluse / Revloc) while on the same topic is the 400 clutch basket the same as a 426 ... or will a 426 clutch fit into a 400 ? 

Any help would be mint .. cheers

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I can't definitively state that it will work, but it's been said that a 426 clutch will fit a 400.  Owing to the difference in the size of the clutch, it would seem necessary to use the 426 case covers in order to have clearance for it.

Personally, though, I doubt I'd spend that kind of money on a bike I could replace with  YZ450 starting at $1500 or so.

• YZF Shifter

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your input grayracer , if I could get a YZF450 here in NZ for $1500 it would be junk , I'm building a 400 for my Shifter kart , I can get a Revloc Dina Ring out of Australia for aus$479 but only for the 426/450 so am looking into the possibility of fitting a 426 clutch as there are plenty parts available here , I have looked back at some post's others suggest it may be done but no-one has said a definite yes ... Cheers Shane

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SB2

Posted November 07, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I can tell you that the YZ426F clutch basket will go into a YZ400F... but, you have to also use the YZ426F clutch cover, both of them.  The clutch is larger in diameter and the basket will not fit in the smaller opening of the YZ400F.  But from there, I know that you can use the Rekluse clutch.  Of course you will have to get the inner hub, clutch plates, and pressure plate.  I have and it works well. 

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Rekluse may have your application and just not have it listed. I had to contact them for my 04 WR450 to find out which one was correct for my bike.

• YZF Shifter

Posted November 09, 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it , whilst on the subject I take it that the 426 and the 450 share the same size clutch ?? 

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes, although there are differences in plate thickness, composition, springs, and so on.  Look through the manuals and part numbers for details.  A number of the parts still carry 5JG numbers (originally for the 426).  5TA stuff was made for the Gen1 450, 2S2 for the Gen2 ('06-'09).

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.