New bike- locating best deals?

17 replies to this topic
  • GlennR

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:23 AM

I recently sold my plated 08'....and sort'a missing it.  The new WR450s w/ FI really appeal to me.  All the BS dealing with my 08's TPS and the crappy 30 mpg are the only bad memories I have of it.

What kind of mpg are most guys with the FI bikes seeing?

How do folks locate the good prices on last year's leftover new bikes?  Any good deals out there right now?

thanks,

• Bandit9

Posted November 02, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Cycletrader

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:01 PM

30 mpg is high for a dirt bike....

• Menzies450

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well I live in canada is this will be kilometers. So will all my aftermarket upgrades and FI tuned I'm getting 80 km on a full tank so with. Conversion it's say 49.709 miles per tank

But when I had all stock bike that was broke in I was getting 115 km per tank so about 71.457 miles per tank

• JTucker

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Cycletrader and sort for lowest price first, then call and see what all kinds of crap they add to the price of the bike. I called one that has a really good price on a new 12, they added 578 to the price plus 500 that you get back from Yam in the form of a gift card......

• GlennR

Posted November 02, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Cycletrader :thumbsup:

Were there any improvements after 2012 ?  Did the 12's have any first year issues?

30 mpg isn't terrible for racing or hardcore riding, but was a good bit less than my buddies on the same ride were getting.  They'd get over 40 mpg.  Maybe it's not the carb that's thirsty, but that extra valve!?

• GlennR

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Found a new 2012 in PA for $4999

Seems like a steal, if they don't add on a pile of fees.  

Is a 12' identical to a 14' ?

• Menzies450

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pretty sure there the same only thing different is 12 has blue back fender and 14 had white an different decals

• scott525

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:03 AM

I remember calling all the dealers for the 2012. Out of the 5 or so I called 1 had one. It was notthe cheapest and I had to go to the dealear and sign. Couldnt just ship it.

I found one at my local dealer. It wasnt a great deal but better than the ones on the net. No fees etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlennR

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:51 AM

It's funny how dealers have us brainwashed into accepting "dealer fees".  That's like a restaurant charging for silverware, or to let you exit.  They act like it's an unavoidable "tax", that they have to collect!

Once you sit down they begin treating you like a moron.  "Sign this, and this, and this, this, this, oh yes and these four at the x near the bottom.  We'll be back in about 10 minutes...."  Then the quoted price mysteriously has grown by about 10%!

• woods-rider

Posted November 05, 2013 - 12:30 PM

I got a leftover '12 in august of '13 for $6k out the door so I would say that at $5k you are doing very well.

• JTucker

Posted November 05, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah that's the one I was talking about, the OTD price was $1078 higher than
the online price. They do that so they can advertise a really cheap price. The manufacturers order sheets generally say does not include delivery and set up, so actually the company actual does not factor in their additional fees into the MSRP. Some add it, some don't. One things for sure you don't make a killing selling a bikes even at MSRP.....

BTW, I'm not sure hwy yours got so bad but the couple times I've checked my 05 model it's been pushing 50MPG.

Edited by JTucker, November 05, 2013 - 05:51 PM.

• Streamline

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm having the same issue. Been looking at 2010+ YZ450Fs for a while now. Actually saw a bunch of used bikes over the summer (people don't ride much in the 110 weather here in AZ) for $2500-3000. Now that I'm ready to buy, people are riding again so used prices have gone back up a bit. So, I've been looking at new bikes. Not too sure what I want to do. It's hard to compare new bikes when they hide all the fees.

• GlennR

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:06 AM

It's hard to compare new bikes when they hide all the fees.

You've got to be willing to walk away when they start pulling that crap.  Cash in your hand might give you some leverage.  Dealers play their "head games" everyday, so they're good at using your emotions against you.  The moment you "sit down to deal" is when they begin their game...  It's just like a fisherman that has set the hook! 

• nes999

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Trying not to hi Jack, but if you find a great deal on a bike from a out of state dealer how does shipping the bike work?

• YamaLink

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:16 AM

In addition to CycleTrader I'll use craigslook which allows me to scan craigslists for a certain geographic distance.

• Bandit9

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:52 PM

In addition to CycleTrader I'll use craigslook which allows me to scan craigslists for a certain geographic distance.

He is looking for brand new bikes.

If used, try www.bikefinds.com for all craigslist and ebay.

• Bandit9

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Trying not to hi Jack, but if you find a great deal on a bike from a out of state dealer how does shipping the bike work?

They charge you for shipping, box up the bike, ship it to a terminal closest to you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.