AHHHH Just got my kids 125 running AND now!

Yes its a real Peace. but I will get it done and it will be done Right. Its for my 14 year old boy. So He and I will have a good time Rebuilding it. I love working on bikes even with all the problems they have.

Those are some of my best memories with my dad... sitting in the garage till 2-3 am spinning wrenches and shooting the shit. I now know how frustrating it must have been for him... having to deal with my mistakes, and my own frustration. I learned a lot from those long days/nights and have some memories that I will never forget! Enjoy them... they don't last forever.

• Like 1

Whoever did the bottom end last did the worst RTV job ever. Its not caulking! Being that somebody was in there it could be assembled wrong. And what about that front sprocket nut lol. Makes you wonder why people do this stuff.

In the end you will have peace of mind and a bike that will go a long time. Especially for your boy, you don't want him riding around on a death trap.

Edited by NitrousR1
  • Like 1

That crank needs rebuilt or replaced. Your stuffer is completely gone and the other side doesn't look too far off. You can get a Hot Rods kit with everything you need included for under $200. That is what I used in all my Yz  rebuilds.

That bolt will back out when not torqued correctly. I still have 2 of those cracked cases from used Yz's that I bought and discovered as I was rebuilding.

Some really good deals on Ebay for used inner clutch covers to replace your cracked one if you need a replacement. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Yamaha-YZ125-Inner-Clutch-Cover-Side-Cover-Case-02-YZ-125-B2950-/161140319634?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2584b62592&vxp=mtr

I have one also. If you are interested, shoot me an offer in our PM and we will work something out. I will beat the prices on ebay. Its been slightly modified but works perfect. I used it for years before I finally replaced the case with one off of a blown motor that I bought for spare parts.

Edited by BDubb106

I traded a pit bike my kid outgrew, and thought it only needed a stator. Once I dove into it I found out it needed more. As for the nut thing, Don't know,,,, haven't pulled it off yet. I'm scared to see how bad It is. that pace is like 95 bucks to replace, Anybody have a 2003 Drive shaft for a YZ 125????so Yes its a POS but not when Im done. It will be a great bike for my kid.  And I love working on bikes. so good times ahead.

• Like 2

Also, if you prefer going for an OEM crank instead of a hotrods, you can find them pretty cheap.

I ended up ordering a '03 YZ125 crank from Yamaha Sports Plaza for $262.42. Didn't cost much extra and feel slightly safer going with OEM.

Good choice. OEM all the way ?

Same with piston and rings btw. Yamaha makes good stuff, and it's often well priced.

Best of luck.

• Like 1