Hey all - new and looking for a bit of advice

5 replies to this topic
  • joker2669

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hey guys - New user here and I thought I'd make my introduction. I bought a 00 WR400F a few weeks ago.. $800 and it came with a full Tusk road lighting kit and even a set of dual sport tires, combined for a value of ~$400. So I figure I was getting an awesome deal - basically $400 for a pretty cool bike that came with extras. Test drove it around the kids block, liked it and brought it home. I didn't even think twice when I pulled up and he was putting in coolant. It started up first kick..

So I get it home and tear it around the block once... short ride. Park it and start putting on the lighting kit that night. Intended to take it to the trails within 2 days and see how it felt.. Night before, I see a white "liquid" dripping from the shifter side above an oil fitting. Drain the oil to find myself a milkshake and then open the radiator cap to find little or no coolant.
So I do some reading on here and get my hopes up its just a water pump needs rebuilding. I pull the motor and send it over to a friend who I bought a 99' CR250R from a few years back who would rebuild all his own power equipment motors and such. I trust him and he's pretty good at it. I order new gasket kit, waterpump kit, oil seals, crank bearings and counter balancer shaft bearings. New clutch basket and clutches cause the old one fell apart upon removal... I'm somewhere in the area of $500 on this motor rebuild.. Now to my final point and question.... The cylinder has a hairline crack by the water jacket and so far the bottom end seems to be in ok condition.

I'd like to keep and run the bike and register it and have myself a cool dual sport.. Is it worth it and what are my options? New/used jug? Big bore? Tell me something I would like to hear.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-10-23 14.46.27.jpg
  • 2013-10-18 14.28.38.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Are you certain it is a crack, and not just a casting flaw?

• joker2669

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:58 PM

He thinks its a crack.. and as best as I can tell looks like one to me.

Your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1383339449666.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Looks like a crack.

• joker2669

Posted November 01, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lol so I'm still not too bad off if I get a new jug, piston and rings.. into the bike a total of 1600.. seem reasonable? I would guess the benefit is a new top end and an engine been gone through.

• 67imp

Posted November 02, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Lol so I'm still not too bad off if I get a new jug, piston and rings.. into the bike a total of 1600.. seem reasonable? I would guess the benefit is a new top end and an engine been gone through.

You will benefit from knowing what was done , when it was done, and by whom it was done. You got a hell of a good price and if this is all that you need to do on a major level you are way ahead of the game. Chances are you are just doing the rebuild that would have been needed eventually down the road.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.