Damn POS Fork Seals!!!!

21 replies to this topic
  • WRSTEVE

Posted December 31, 2003 - 04:01 PM

How long are fork seals supposed to last? Mine lasted 1 1/2 yrs, should I be lucky they lasted that long? I got home today from riding in Hollister and when I got home I had fork oil all over the bed of my truck. When I get them fixed.. are the fork seal savers worth installing? and if so, can I count on my seals to last longer?

Thanks in Advanced. :)

Steve

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 31, 2003 - 04:38 PM

Steve, I know... I just blew another one... :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 31, 2003 - 06:04 PM

Seal Savers will help but getting more than 2 seasons on a set of fork seals is very good. They do wear and should be replaced after a heavy season. :)

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 31, 2003 - 06:11 PM

wow.you got over a season out of them?

• endurodog

Posted December 31, 2003 - 06:49 PM

I use to replace a couple of sets a year until someone told me to just clean them when they start leaking. I have been doing this for about 3 years now and have not had to replace a single one.

For cleaning I pull the fork guards and fork guard guides off. Spray the bottom of the wiper with contact cleaner and clean that off, I then slide the wiper down and spray the fork seal with contact cleaner. I wipe it out. Then I take a piece of card board about the thickness of a business card. Heres a little extra I do that I don't think others do when cleaning them, I put some fork seal lube on the card board. I then slide this up into the seal and work it all the way around. I do that 2 or 3 times. Clean out the top of the wiper really good and then push it back in place.

• skopiec

Posted December 31, 2003 - 07:03 PM

I've also had luck cleaning out the seals - I usually use a thin feeler guage...

-Scott

• dale

Posted December 31, 2003 - 07:10 PM

It's a "Race Bike". Expect to work on it.

• gfergtr74

Posted December 31, 2003 - 11:36 PM

I agree. Cleaning the seals will definatley make them last longer. The more often the better. Adding the grease to the inside is an excellent idea. Another thing that helps out a lot is the next time you rebuild the forks take a very fine sandpaper and put a crosshatch on the tube. Wrap the paper around the tube and pull the tube thru and spin slowly. Basicly an exterior hone. This will help the seals do their job better.

• MoToJo303

Posted January 01, 2004 - 09:20 AM

I don't think putting a cross hatch on something that is suppose to seal is a very smart idea. A cross hatch is ment to help lubrication flow, ex. your cylinder walls. The fork tubes should be kept completely free of nicks dents and SCRATCHES. The scrathces will cause debris to get under the seals and damage them, also it will let oil go under the seals and leak. The purpose of the seal is to retain oil and wipe off debris. It must have a perfect cylindrical fit or it will not seal properly. :) :D

• gfergtr74

Posted January 01, 2004 - 04:47 PM

I realize what you are saying and I felt the same the first time I heard of this.
This is an extreamly fine crosshatch. You will barely notice it if you look. The shop I am from has been doing this for years and we have had great results. This was acctually sugested at one of the Race Tech suspension schools.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pedman

Posted January 02, 2004 - 08:20 AM

It's a "Race Bike". Expect to work on it.

"Not a Race Bike " and I am on my second within a year. Seal Savers or the like is of interest to me now. :)

• pedman

Posted January 02, 2004 - 08:23 AM

My friend has less than 700 miles on the bike and he has a fork job now.

I know 700 miles is ridiculous.....he needs to get out more :)

• TonyDeCoster

Posted January 02, 2004 - 10:31 AM

You might want to carefully inspect the lower fork tubes to make sure they don't have any dings in them. They will tear up a seal in no time. Also, whenever you replace the seals, ALWAYS I repeat ALWAYS replace both sets of bushings on the fork tubes/sliders. They are a high wear item and will cause premature seal failure if not replaced. If there is any Teflon missing at all on the bushings, they're shot.

• mayday

Posted January 02, 2004 - 12:15 PM

wrsteve
I too was going thru seals like 3 in 1 year! I got them sealsavers and haven't blown one since, almost a year. Best $20 I have spent!! buy them you wont be disapointed :)

• jwriott

Posted January 02, 2004 - 04:13 PM

I agree with checking for dings. When I was in Moab with Indy and yzman400, one of my seals were leaking. We cleaned it out with a feeler gauge and greased the dust seal and put it back. It was really puking when I got home so I tore them apart and there was a nick in the lower part of the leg in an area you couldn't see when it was on the bike.

I'm going to use a piece of film as suggested else where on the site to clean my seals and see if they last longer. I did get 1500 miles out of the first set so I was pretty pleased they lasted that long.

By the way, feel lucky you don't have a KTM, they blow seals like crazy.

• WRSTEVE

Posted January 04, 2004 - 06:46 PM

I use to replace a couple of sets a year until someone told me to just clean them when they start leaking. I have been doing this for about 3 years now and have not had to replace a single one.

For cleaning I pull the fork guards and fork guard guides off. Spray the bottom of the wiper with contact cleaner and clean that off, I then slide the wiper down and spray the fork seal with contact cleaner. I wipe it out. Then I take a piece of card board about the thickness of a business card. Heres a little extra I do that I don't think others do when cleaning them, I put some fork seal lube on the card board. I then slide this up into the seal and work it all the way around. I do that 2 or 3 times. Clean out the top of the wiper really good and then push it back in place.

Holy Sh&%,
SJWR450 & Myself cleaned them Sat. night with a peice of 35mm film and a .03 feeler gauge, greased up the dust seals and had no leaks today riding :)

That just got added to the " Must Clean : List after every ride. :D

• endurodog

Posted January 04, 2004 - 07:21 PM

Way kewl, glad to hear it worked for ya :)

• LiquidSilver

Posted January 05, 2004 - 10:44 PM

Dittos on the nicked downtubes. That's been so common on my buddy's YZ-250... and once there's a nick, there's nothing you can do but polish off the nick. (o' course he rarely finds the nicks until after he's lost a bunch of fork oil) We ride in a lot of rock, and we've found the knobbies occasionally carry rocks around and sling them forward at the naked downtubes.

It sure would be nice if Acerbis, or somebody could come up with lower fork guards that wrap around better. (and from the pictures the carbon fiber ones don't appear to wrap around much more than stock.)

• 1rkcooper

Posted January 10, 2004 - 10:42 PM

A good quality business card works great for cleaning the seals too. Slide it under the seal and around the tube.

• KentuckyWR

Posted January 11, 2004 - 03:40 PM

One of mine blew out with less than 200 miles on it!!!
My dealer sympathized and gave the parts VERY cheap!
He mentioned many of the cleaning tips mentioned above.
I guess the trick is to just clean and lube them after each ride!!
I now have a set of seal savers. The long kind that cover the upper fork tube and extend only 4 inches or so down onto the lower tube.

Ride On!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.