has anybody tried there 14 450 in the desert?

7 replies to this topic
  • dezert133

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:29 AM

dont have one yet but really looking into it, i was just wondering how stable it is what type of power it has?and if possibly it could be made into a stable desert bike?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Stability won't be an issue.  Add a Scotts damper and that problem is gone.  Adding a bit of extra sag may help with it, too, as this will increase head angle, although it does so at some expense to turning ability.

Power?  Big power. Monster power, the way I understand it.  I've seen fairly reliable dyno results showing 58-59 HP.  That's huge. No complaints about being uncontrollable, though. 

• motoscotty

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I can't imagine "wide open" on this thing!
Other than just lugging along I have never been in 5th hard on it. Just haven't been anywhere I could do that.
There is no shortage of power anywhere on the 14!

• dezert133

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:54 PM

thanks for the info guys, has anyone seen anything about a desert tank?

what type of gearing would be appropriate?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Start with stock gearing.  I ran either the stock 13/49 or a 13/48 on my '06 in the desert up until I switched the trans recently.  5th is rarely too short (but sometimes is) and 1st is tall, but not so it can't be used in the tricky sections. 

• drtrcr400

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:49 AM

1383662756417.jpg
1383662779936.jpg
1383662806447.jpg
Here's some pics ims sent me. This is the dry break model which will eliminate the flip up part of the seat. They'll also have a version that uses the stock setup.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:51 PM

The bad I see with it, it looks like your go-nad's are going to be on the dry break  :eek:

The good it looks like it about doubles fuel capacity and moves all the excess fuel lower and centralized. 

I super curious how it all turns out, as far as a desert-ized new yz. I'm looking to replace my old 03 and so far all possible bikes(other brands/models) I have try'd, have been a big fail. I have yet to ride a new/newer bike that feels like man with a little work this thing would blow my old bike away. So far it's been well this would be a little better here or their but not enough to justify spending a large amount of money on a new bike. I sure hope this new YZ does it or at least comes close, being it's blue that is almost reason enough  :thinking:

Please keep us posted 

• YamaLink

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:24 AM

One of the local fast desert pros is currently testing a new 450, and while he's making changes to suspension, bar position, etc., he's had zero concerns with power even in the wet deep sand he's dialing the bike in. Monster!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.