What do you guys think about this one? winter project

10 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:29 PM

http://kansascity.cr...4132150479.html

Needing an exhaust cam has me thrown.  How did he ruin the cam?  I wonder how bad the frame is tweeked or broken.  What do you think about this as a winter project??

• Zien19

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:05 PM

I would run. Price is too low and who uses the heaviest bike on the market for freestyle. Things don't add up here and who can buy a cam for 25 to 50 bucks. Not even the knock offs are that cheap!!

• The_Vernsker

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:18 PM

For 1200 bucks it would be a good project. But too many things could go wrong with the engine at his asking price. If you buy the bike tear the engine down and find that it needs a rebuild you would have been better off buying a nice running yz450f.

• mrjata

Posted November 01, 2013 - 05:02 PM

I understand everything you all are telling me.  I am shying away as we speak.  Hard telling what has been broken, bent, tweeked being a 
"freestyle" bike.  I guess I keep looking.  I don't really need one.  I have a yz250 that is my pearl.  I just wanted to try on a 4 stroker for a change and a winter project.  

I am learning to hate Cragislist, quickly.  Everything has  new top end in it, low hours, always sheded, seldom ridden, new this and that, oh and new stickers, don't forget that.  We all know that new stickers makes everything run better.   Jeeezzz!

Thanks, guys.

• mrjata

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:15 AM

http://omaha.craigsl...4130108330.html

What do you think about this one?  I could afford to put a little into the motor and still have a cheap bike.  Getting frustrated finding a project that is affordable.  I have no problem going through a motor and will have all winter to do it.  No rushes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Vernsker

Posted November 05, 2013 - 12:59 PM

http://omaha.craigsl...4130108330.html

What do you think about this one?  I could afford to put a little into the motor and still have a cheap bike.  Getting frustrated finding a project that is affordable.  I have no problem going through a motor and will have all winter to do it.  No rushes.

If you plan on keeping the bike i would say go for it. If you are trying to make money off fixing it then its probably not that great of a deal. 

• mrjata

Posted November 05, 2013 - 01:16 PM

If you plan on keeping the bike i would say go for it. If you are trying to make money off fixing it then its probably not that great of a deal. 

Do you think if I put (worst case) $1,000 into it, I could still get my money back if I do sell?

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2013 - 01:48 PM

You think you could sell it for $2500, then?  Could be tough to do.

• mrjata

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well the kid backed out.  Said he "tore it down and found a bad crank"  Said he would want a lot more for his bike with a new crank.  Told him good luck.  @#$%  Guess I am shopping again.  Oh well.............

Thanks for the input guys.

• mrjata

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:47 PM

what about this one???

green spokes?  why?

http://kansascity.cr...4149973183.html

• The_Vernsker

Posted November 17, 2013 - 12:32 AM

what about this one???

green spokes?  why?

http://kansascity.cr...4149973183.html

Not a money maker.... bluebook for that bike is 2900. As it sits I can tell it needs new tires and you would have to replace the plastics or graphics to get people interested in it. If the owner ran the tires that bald the chain/sprockets are probably roached too. Even if you got it for 2 grand the amount of profit you would get out of that bike is next to nothing. 

On the other hand if you want a bike to ride for a few years that would be a decent buy. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.