Racer X Rapid Reaxtion post-"shootout" YZ450F

26 replies to this topic
  • YamaLink

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:48 AM

http://racerxonline....he-450-shootout

• Crusty Cy

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I cry foul.  With the correct springs for your weight, an Enzo shock lowering plate, and your preferred handlebar the bike could win a National. At least that's what I'm going to do to my 2015 when I pick one up next September (already have the tuner).  Can't wait to lay waste to the competition in 2015 on an inferior bike.  I'll stick with my terrible 2012 450 for now.  Geez, how good does the bike have to be before anyone gives it credit? My '12 is way better than the supposed best bike of all time, the '07-08 Honda 450.  This coming from a 20 year rabid Honda fan.

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted October 31, 2013 - 04:18 PM

SO they didn't like it?  What's new.  Just feel good you got the best bike and blow them away.  That's what I have been doing since 2010.  3

newer 450's later and I'm getting a 2014 when the rebates come out.  I just got back  on the bike since I had a bad hand fracture in June.  

• Family Man

Posted November 01, 2013 - 08:45 AM

In the last paragraph they said if your taller than 5 foot 9 the Yamaha or ktm are the way to go and if your 5 foot 9 or under Honda or Suzuki is the way to go. They liked Kawasaki the best. However, they did Say no one liked the yamaha as much as the other bikes in the shoot out.They contradict themselves.  

• Family Man

Posted November 01, 2013 - 08:46 AM

When do the rebates come out? Im thinking about sighning up for the Blu Cru when if I buy a new bike.

• drtrcr400

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:29 AM

When do the rebates come out? Im thinking about sighning up for the Blu Cru when if I buy a new bike.

I received my blucru debit card 23 days after purchasing my new bike. Loaded with 500 bucks. When I activated it there was another $10 deposited. Add that to a killer deal on the bike and I'm in the whole thing for about 6500 otd.

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Probably after the first of the year. They are not selling any better than previously. Press isn't helping. Monster cup abismal showing didn't help

Everyone I know think I'm foolish not to buy KTM. That is what older people who have money want. I am older also. Kids just don't have money, although they may want a Yamaha

Just the facts today. Old guys want pumpkins

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens, November 01, 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:41 AM

I buy Yamahas over other brands for one reason: reliability.  I can tweak, modify, and improve pretty much anything else, but you just can't make another bike hold up the way a YZF does.

In the days when "Cycle" and "Cycleworld" mags were the only big players, and people like Gordon Jennings were staffing them, the ride tests used to be good, objective, informative reports, and always included a comprehensive spec sheet with stuff like actual weights and measured performance.  As far as magazine tests and "shootouts" go these days, I don't give a red, rusty :censored: about any of them, one way or other.

• Itsbroken

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I want to see a test that list the riders personal bikes along with their lap times. Then Lap times on each of the test bikes. Opinions are worthless. That way you would know their bias and have hard data to compare.
I let a local former "pro" ride the 14' and he was taking 12-15 seconds off his lap times after just 5 or so laps. He owned a rmz450 . Said he loved the power, really liked the handling but was going to buy a KTM because of Yamaha's reputation.
I'm going to get another bike soon and am thinking KX or RMZ. Just so I can compare the yz myself. But after reading all the bike "shoot outs" I see that the KX450 has the same reported issues as the Yamaha's. But on the Kx front end pushing is looked at as a positive requiring steering with the rear wheel. The RMZ has time and time again been described as a terrible handling bike off the showroom that requires a lot of adjusting and setup. Wonderful and the best handling bike ever after set up for you though.
Almost all the bikes require a lowering link. Gee, lots of adds in the mag for lowering link.
Bottom line is if you have ever tried to advertise a product in a magazine you learn very quick that quality of your product is the least important factor in the review you will receive.

• BBrown626

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:01 PM

The '14 has fantastic power and acceleration. The suspension is great stock.

I have my new shock spring ready to install in the morning (thanks DaveJ). Sunday I'll setup the suspension at pala.

Just riding it stock with stock settings it is pretty good. Once the suspension is tweaked it will be great.

Add the reliability and it is pretty darn good.

I am an old guy and I nearly bought orange, but lots of complaints out there about reliability and the suspension isn't so good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I let a local former "pro" ride the 14' and he was taking 12-15 seconds off his lap times after just 5 or so laps. He owned a rmz450 . Said he loved the power, really liked the handling but was going to buy a KTM because of Yamaha's reputation.

Please tell me this person doesn't vote

• krony506

Posted November 02, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Please tell me this person doesn't vote

LOL

• krony506

Posted November 02, 2013 - 04:42 AM

grayracer513, How would you fix the turning of the 14 450F? I am so close to buying this bike because I am tired of waiting on the 250F. I am a vet racer and I am not super fast at all. I sat on all 4 of the Jap. bikes and even though the bike feels a little bigger I loved the feel.  The Honda was the smallest but just didn't feel right to me and I don't want any parts of the air fork.  

• Itsbroken

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Bad news, he votes, he sees Obama for the douche he is but can't wait for Hillary. And yes I let him know how STUPID that idea was.

• motoxjeff

Posted November 02, 2013 - 12:29 PM

grayracer513, How would you fix the turning of the 14 450F? I am so close to buying this bike because I am tired of waiting on the 250F. I am a vet racer and I am not super fast at all. I sat on all 4 of the Jap. bikes and even though the bike feels a little bigger I loved the feel. The Honda was the smallest but just didn't feel right to me and I don't want any parts of the air fork.

Ride engineering is coming out with a different offset triple clamp. I'm assuming around a 20, or 21 (stock is 22 I believe). I will be buying them when they come out. Already got my front braking wave rotor on order too.

• rk8950

Posted November 02, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Jeff what do you need different clamps for? What sag numbers were you running? Motoscotty seems to have a hot set up running alot of rear sag, he says it handles great

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:16 AM

grayracer513, How would you fix the turning of the 14 450F?

. I'd ride it first to see if it even needs to be fixed. Just because someone says something about the bike doesn't mean it's true. TT member motoscotty seems to feel he has his close to dialed with only simple adjustments made. No links, clamps, no shiny do dads.

• motoxjeff

Posted November 03, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Jeff what do you need different clamps for? What sag numbers were you running? Motoscotty seems to have a hot set up running alot of rear sag, he says it handles great

I'm running 105 in the rear. I'm 5'11/ 200lbs, vet- intermediate... MX only. The front wanted to push a little bit coming out of the corners for me. I'm coming off of a '13 crf 450, so maybe I'm just not used to the Yami steering yet.... I have the bars in the forward position as well.

• Itsbroken

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have noticed that small adjustments in fork height have a larger than usual effect on the bikes turning. I'm set at 5.7 mm right now for track and 4mm for running around in the desert.
Also for where I ride from Sacramento to the tracks around Reno, that mx51f had to go. Went with 404/403's with a 90 on the front and saw a lot better traction In the turns everywhere. Probably not the best on some of the tracks but a good compromise.
I would not go and replace anything until you've exhausted all options in setting up. I suggest totally ignoring what the magazines say and don't be afraid of pushing the normal numbers a bit. I.E. sag at 112

• BBrown626

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm running 105 in the rear. I'm 5'11/ 200lbs, vet- intermediate... MX only. The front wanted to push a little bit coming out of the corners for me. I'm coming off of a '13 crf 450, so maybe I'm just not used to the Yami steering yet.... I have the bars in the forward position as well.

I'd bet you can get there with adjustments to the rebound damping on the fork. Turn the rebound in a little and it will keep the fork length shorter throught he corner, for longer.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.