New '11 WR450 or '12WR450

Yamaha WR450F 2011 Yamaha WR450F 2012

76 replies to this topic
  • Baja trail Rider

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thanks both for Info on idle.Please post if you can get  the idle way down.With the fast idle the FI bikes have there a hand full.To ride in gear,motor on 20mph idle,you would loose life and limb on the trails here.I know it can be done be the first,then I can pass it on.Thanks again.

• JDLowrance

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Oh, you might want to start a new thread....

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:57 PM

You introduced air into the brake system??? &%$#@!?

Not saying it isn't plausible, just after 13 years riding, racing, and reading forums and I have never heard of anyone purposely introducing air into a brake system to make it less touchy.

Care to explain?

It was a tip from krannie. I found the rear brake lacked feel and was way too prone to lock up. Too digital, either on or off. I wanted more travel in the brake lever too.

Krannie suggested introducing some air into the system. Air is compressible, provides more travel and feel. It works great. And I can always bleed it out if I tire of it.

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yeah it makes sense. Just came out of left field on me.....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2013 - 06:15 AM

Yeah it makes sense. Just came out of left field on me.....

It's an old KTM (meh, just threw up in my mouth a little...) trick.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 07, 2013 - 06:46 AM

It was a tip from krannie. I found the rear brake lacked feel and was way too prone to lock up. Too digital, either on or off. I wanted more travel in the brake lever too.

Krannie suggested introducing some air into the system. Air is compressible, provides more travel and feel. It works great. And I can always bleed it out if I tire of it.

This is a hell of an idea and I will definitely do this for my rear brake.  It locks up WAY too easily and I imagine just a small bubble will do.  I wouldn't have thought of this one...

Thanks.

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:32 PM

LOL!

That explains it then. I've had 1 KTM for about 6 months in 2006. All it did was eat money and leak oil all over my garage, truck, and trailer. Sucker got 86'd in a heart beat and I haven't kept up with them.

• Bandit9

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Baja Trail Rider,
You know you really should think a little bit more before you type. You come in here dog cussing the 12+ and now you are crawfishing and asking for help like a bum on the Interstate exits. Could you please make up your mind on whether you are going to be an A-Hole or a cool dude?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Baja Trail Rider,
You know you really should think a little bit more before you type. You come in here dog cussing the 12+ and now you are crawfishing and asking for help like a bum on the Interstate exits. Could you please make up your mind on whether you are going to be an A-Hole or a cool dude?

....ah, I think that's be determined already...

• Baja trail Rider

Posted November 07, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ok Its not me,Im asking for the 5 guys here from CA running the 1000.Had nothing to do with what I know.Its there here now asking.

• YHGEORGE

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:42 AM

But with KTM's it comes automatically, just let one sit in the garage a few days.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:54 PM

But with KTM's it comes automatically, just let one sit in the garage a few days.

Yeah, on the front, but the back is like a light switch, and hold 1cc of oil so it overheats nice and quick, and never induces air on it's own.

I hate KTM

• YHGEORGE

Posted November 10, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, on the front, but the back is like a light switch, and hold 1cc of oil so it overheats nice and quick, and never induces air on it's own.

I hate KTM

Yep, that comes thru loud and clear. I did not hate mine but I did pass it along after three months. Sure was pleased to see it in another fellas truck.

• SoCalDirtRider67

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Here's my 2 cents...I had an 07 that I liked a lot but it handled like crap. Was gonna spend the bucks to get it dialed in and then I found a good used 2012. I did some research and learned that it had great suspension out of the box so I sold my super clean 07 and threw in 1500 to get the 12. Best move I ever made! This bike is awesome. Handles like a dream, plenty of power, feels lighter, never hiccups, starts as easy if not easier, and best thing about it is that I never have to re-jet or worry about cleaning a dirty carb. What can I say, I am in love with my 2012 wr450! There, I said it.

• mch

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:42 PM

& that crap about not being able to ride at slow speeds due to idle issues... ridiculous. 

• mebgardner

Posted December 20, 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'm considering an upgrade to this cycle from a DRZ400S.  I know I'm in for a real treat.

I read thru the thread, and wondered about the "air in the rear brake system" trick myself.  Could you please tell me how I would control the amount of air introduced, or maybe a brief description of what to do?

I did not see anything like this in the FAQ (which I read first).

Thanks,

Bob

• drdanbozeman

Posted December 25, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm considering an upgrade to this cycle from a DRZ400S.  I know I'm in for a real treat.

I read thru the thread, and wondered about the "air in the rear brake system" trick myself.  Could you please tell me how I would control the amount of air introduced, or maybe a brief description of what to do?

I did not see anything like this in the FAQ (which I read first).

Thanks,

Bob

I "upgraded" from a DRZ400S when I bought a 2012 WR450 last year; upgrade does even start to describe the difference between the two bikes. I enjoyed riding the DR, but after riding the WR for a season I realize how much more fun riding is on a capable off-road machine. The WR conspires to make you ride better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  226 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 Starting woes by W85W58

• Hot  500 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.