2006 YZ450 clutch problem

3 replies to this topic
  • torkd14

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Any help on this would be great.

I have a 2006 yz450 that I have been running a Rekluse exp 2.0 on since may of 2013. It recently quit working. I tried adjusting the cable first but it either worked like a normal manual clutch or you could put it in gear let out the lever, rev it and it would barely move forward. No happy medium like it's supposed to do. I purchased new friction and steel plates but it didn't fix a thing. Could my basket and pressure plate be screwed? I'm at a loss at this point. I am willing to replace them but don't want to if they don't need to be obviously.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2013 - 07:07 AM

What if you stack the clutch up as a normal manual clutch, the way it was originally?  If that works, the problem is apt to be the EXP unit itself, possibly jammed or some such so that it won't expand as it should.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torkd14

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:11 PM

What if you stack the clutch up as a normal manual clutch, the way it was originally? If that works, the problem is apt to be the EXP unit itself, possibly jammed or some such so that it won't expand as it should.

I'll try this out as soon as I can with the new plates. I tried taking the Rekluse out with the old plates and it did nothing to fix it. I had the clutch cable so loose the lever that protrudes from the case and attaches to the cable was pressed against the case. Still the bike only creeped forward as I reved it.

Should the plates be flush with the top of the basket? Currently the plates sit slightly below the top of the basket.

Thanks for trying to help Grey, everyone I talk to is stumped by this.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2013 - 06:18 AM

Remember that you have an '06, and it originally had 9 friction plates.  A common mistake, BTW, is to loose the 10mm ball bearing that goes between the inner and out push rods.  Creates all kinds of free play, but that won't cause the clutch not to engage.

The clutch plates will normally stack up to just about flush with the end of the basket fingers.  The boss (hub) has to show enough splines extending beyond the plate stack to engage the teeth on the inside of the pressure plate, but not so much that the pressure plate bottoms out on the boss before it applies pressure to the stack.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.