03 Yz450f Oil filter screw

4 replies to this topic
  • BigNick98

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hey guys I need some help. My bottom screw on my oil filter cover stripped out. So it's leaking oil pretty bad. The fact that its an allen head and the other 2 aren't makes me think it wasn't the original anyway. So I need to know what size and thread pattern the screw should be. Anyone know?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:57 PM

You need to do a search on this.

It's a common problem on the older motors.

There is a process for cleaning out that threaded cavity before putting your screw back in, to prevent this from happening.

The debris from the filter clogs the threads, forcing it to strip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:59 PM

http://www.thumperta...h&fromMainBar=1

• BigNick98

Posted October 27, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks man. The search on my phone never works right. I always try but never get the right results. It's weird.

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:10 PM

You posted this in the wrong forum, so it's been moved.  The problem of the stripped lower oil filter bolt is well known, and applies to all YZF models up to the 2010 YZ450.  As far as I know, the issue still exists on the 250F and WR models.  The problem is not so much that the threads weren't cleaned out before you put the bolt back, it's that they were contaminated when the bolt was unscrewed:

http://www.thumperta...-at-some-stage/

The original bolts were all three Allen bolts, and the lower one should be a shouldered bolt, if you want the cover to align correctly and not obstruct an oil passage.  The part number for the correct bolt is 90109-065G2-00.

Had you done something about the matter ahead of time, it could have been prevented:

http://www.thumperta...ter-cover-bolt/

But, now that it's already stripped, blocking off the drain passage will likely not be needed, but read a little of both threads so that you understand the issues involved.  If you use a thread repair insert to correct this problem, be absolutely certain that it's long enough that it closes of the drain port that crosses into the threads.  Otherwise, you will loose oil pressure and damage the engine severely. If you're in doubt of whether the passage was completely closed or not, or if you find out after installing it that it doesn't reach that far, do the mod shown in the second link I posted.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.