considering buying a 2010 YZ450F, asking advice :)

Yamaha YZ450F 2010

27 replies to this topic
  • Keira2142

Posted October 29, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Haha you guys crack me up. Anyway I appreciate all of the advice, all of your input if going to effect my decision along with what I feel and see with the bike.

OK so here's the thing, the deal is I have a completely rebuilt 2007 kx250.

I'm asking all of you....would you trade him your 2007 kx250 and give him 300 bucks for a 2010 yz450f??

Would it be worth it to all of you???

Yes or NO!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Not if he offered me a masserati to go with it. KX250s weren't the best handling bikes either thoguh. Atleast not the last gen made, you might evne find improvement on teh YZF. Up to you mate. I wouldn't do it no.

• MtuSmoker

Posted October 30, 2013 - 06:54 AM

I would do it 100%.

I still can't believe though how much this bike gets bashed, it really is an awesome bike. It is finicky to suspension changes but once you dial it in the bike is awesome. I own an RM250 which does "turn" better but the yami is no slouch at all! What everybody fails to mention is how STABLE the bike is! My rm feels like its gonna wash out in 3rd gear where the yz will take anything on and keep you pointed straight. Not to mention the reliability and suspension compared to any other 450. Oh and for 200 bucks the tuner is worth it for sure, The marmot map will make a bigger difference than a 1k exhaust system will.

Get it and have fun

• WouldsAssassin

Posted October 30, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Go for it. Get the 10 if it's what you want. I'm too big for a 250 so won't tell you yes or no. I'll always take a 450 over a 250.

I have an 11 and noticed a different feel to the bike when it was new. Like any new bike it always feels weird but I maintain the mindset that I need to adapt to it. Certain items will always be modified to better suit my height and weight but attempting to re-engineer a bike or fight it's genetics is pointless. Over 20 years of riding and a dozen or so bikes I've NEVER felt "comfortable" on any in the first 10 hours of use. After 50 hours it is one of my favorite bikes. I ride offroad, and the YZ cuts up single track like no other and being a MX bike handles jumps and whoops better than any offroad bike will. The light front end is such a benefit when lifting it over obstacles, however it has never been an issue with hillclimbs or under hard acceleration.

The GYTR power tuner is the best money I've ever spent on go fast parts. The tunability of the engine is mind blowing. No single bolt on part could ever offer the performance options of the Tuner. Ride a bike with a mud map and then reprogram with the Marmont map and you'll swear you just swapped heads, cams, piston, exhaust and jets in five minutes.

• Keira2142

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I would do it 100%.

I still can't believe though how much this bike gets bashed, it really is an awesome bike. It is finicky to suspension changes but once you dial it in the bike is awesome. I own an RM250 which does "turn" better but the yami is no slouch at all! What everybody fails to mention is how STABLE the bike is! My rm feels like its gonna wash out in 3rd gear where the yz will take anything on and keep you pointed straight. Not to mention the reliability and suspension compared to any other 450. Oh and for 200 bucks the tuner is worth it for sure, The marmot map will make a bigger difference than a 1k exhaust system will.

Get it and have fun

Its stability is a result of total lack of weight on teh front wheel... Most JS7 fans like to bash it because its what their god pawned off. Which for hte record I think was the most disgraceful moment of his career. To publicly blame the bike for his piss poor performance was and still is criminal. Well he still wipes out liek a mofo on the best turning bike in the biz, so that should tell you just how much his opinion is worth. If I were yamaha I would have been investigating legal action, theres surely something there. Slander perhaps.

To be fair, theres alot of people that will just 'adapt' to the understeer. All I'm saying is you shouldn't have to. The original poster should adapt better than most to the hit and understeer coming off a KX250. Absolutely psychotic motor, atleast the 05 I rode did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MtuSmoker

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well also to be fair I have only ridden a handful of times at a track with mine, I use mine for the woods and after a fww and tune I love it, different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, it may be different from the other 450s handling wise but I felt I got used to it pretty quickly and overall very satisfied with the bike as a whole package do anything bike

• Keira2142

Posted November 01, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well also to be fair I have only ridden a handful of times at a track with mine, I use mine for the woods and after a fww and tune I love it, different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, it may be different from the other 450s handling wise but I felt I got used to it pretty quickly and overall very satisfied with the bike as a whole package do anything bike

In ruts its actually fantastic, because its stability means it just stays in the rut because you don't need handle bar input. Once you do though....

• cobrabrouk

Posted November 22, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Just like to say thank you all for the input.....I traded my bike and 150 bucks and I am not regretting it one bit!!!

I never realized how terrible the kx suspension and handling was until now. The Yz is easy to ride. I'm loving it.

Anyway thanks everyone!

• Mtrain730

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Congrats man. Nice all around bike. Don't listen too people that say other wise. 25 hrs on mine and don't regret buying it. If you you trail ride even a little I suggest fly wheel weight. I got the 9 ounce. Works like a charm. I also race novice.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2010 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha YZ450F 2010
  • * * * * -
  • 20 reviews
  • Last review by flightrider
  • On June 22, 2016
Forums
Photo

2010/2011 YZ450 Owner EFI & Timing Map Database by grayracer513

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Broken Frame 2010 YZ450F by rider-99

• Hot  84 replies
Forums
Photo

KYB quick fix ? by ee99

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

2010-13 Issues? by Calhoun117

• Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.