Carb rebuild question

2 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted October 25, 2013 - 10:42 PM

I posted this on the Honda 2 stroke forum...... Nothing.......I know somebody on this forum will know.

Hi, I have a 2004 CR250R that has been leaking gas. I have purchased a rebuild kit. I suspect my problem is a fault Float valve not sealing properly. My question is, in this rebuild kit is also a Valve Seat that the float goes in.

I'm assuming I need to change the Valve Seat to match up with the new float valve? Or can I just change the float valve?

If I do have to remove the Valve Seat, how do I do that? Do I need a punch or will a screw driver pull that out. Don't want to break anything. The top of the Valve seat has a rubber gasket.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382769735.508921.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:05 AM

The seat only needs changing if:

The seat has a 'pit' or 'pitting' on it, or a crack.

The seat seal has rotted, and no longer seals.

if you are not sure:

Turn the carb upside down, fill it with gas up to the edge of the seat: if gas seeps by the sides/under  the seat, the seat seal is shot.

Now do the same thing (if the seal is ok) with the needle inserted into the seat, and put gas above the seat, and press lightly on the spring pin, and see if gas leaks by the seat surface.

This way you will know what  to replace. Always replace the needle.

You remove the seat using a mini-slide hammer. DO NOT pry it out.

• RMK800

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Krannie!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.