Clutch issue?

1 reply to this topic
  • rhinoracin

Posted October 25, 2013 - 02:46 AM

Rode my 09 YZ for the first time in months today. After unloading it from the truck, I rode it down the street and the clutch felt different. When letting it out, it disengaged late, almost when the lever was back in normal position.

I'm not sure if my bike has done this before. I'll try riding it again tomorrow, but is this clutch thing an issue? Or will a simple adjustment fix it.
Could it have something to do with the bike sitting in my garage for so long? (I did start it every 2 weeks) By the way Oil was changed 6 hours ago (ride time), and level is good, if that matters

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:19 AM

When you are letting the clutch lever out, you are engaging the clutch. Disengaging is what happens when you pull the lever in.

Sometimes sitting for a long period in combination with certain other conditions in the clutch can compact the clutch linings.  If they harden a little, they loose some of their resilience.  With that, the clutch catches later and releases sooner in the travel of the lever.  A lot of the time, this condition will correct itself with use, but sometimes it's an indication that the linings were overheated.  As long as you have free play, and the clutch isn't excessively abrupt or grabby, you can run it without worry.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.