99 wr 400 electrical

4 replies to this topic
  • DaleRidesAll

Posted October 24, 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hi guys i own a 99 wr 400 and I'm currently 15 going on 16 in a few months and wanting to register my bike. the guy who had the bike before me just used it on the dirt and not on the road so he didn't have indicators, it had a headlight and tail light according to my friend the tail light worked for the rear brake but not the front and the headlight worked on high and low beam but both were quite dim. speedo worked and horn worked but again very dull and didnt sound like a horn. a few months back I crashed it into a fence on a slippery day and the speedo bent back and the cable snapped off so that is useless, when this happened i decided to unplug and remove all electrics.as of now i have a few questions: for one what are some reasons my light and horn were dim? and also if i grab a vapour tech speedo of ebay (or something like that) is it easy to install? and are indicators a D.I.Y job or leave it to a electrician. and now for my final question how much on average would it cost to get the whole thing rewired and set up for the road? 
Thank you to anyone that bothers to read this :) p.s I'm located in South Australia

• Thommo_400f

Posted October 24, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Trail tech is very easy.
Horn needs replacing. Cheap.
They get corrosion inside and slowly die.
The stator on 400f is pretty weak and there isn't any inline buffering from a battery so the brightness relies entirely on revs. You may need the stator rewound if it is too weak.
Blinkers are easy enough as long as the flasher relay isn't dead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaleRidesAll

Posted October 24, 2013 - 12:42 AM

Trail tech is very easy.
Horn needs replacing. Cheap.
They get corrosion inside and slowly die.
The stator on 400f is pretty weak and there isn't any inline buffering from a battery so the brightness relies entirely on revs. You may need the stator rewound if it is too weak.
Blinkers are easy enough as long as the flasher relay isn't dead.

okay cool
could it possibly be the stator aswell for the horn? but if not cheep is always good
what gets corrosion easily? the light or horn?
oh that explains about the brightness when i would fly across the paddock rather than putting around. any ideas how bright it actually needs to be? and would you know how much it would be to get the stator rewound?
and as for the flasher it was dented quite a bit so im guessing i would need a new one of them, any idea on prices?

• Thommo_400f

Posted October 24, 2013 - 12:50 AM

The horn can't generally be brought back from dead.
For rego.... As long as lights work it will pass.
Don't get stator done unless you have other issues.
Flashers are cheap. Get a new one or you could be chasing your tail when you go to hook blinkers up.

• DaleRidesAll

Posted October 24, 2013 - 12:54 AM

Okay thank you so much for your advice Thommo, you've been very helpful :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.