- - - - -

Chelan County passes an ordinance that allows ORVs on county roads

• Please sign in to reply

32 replies to this topic
  • tek9tim

TT Bronze Member

147 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Here's the link to the Chelan County page, click the link at the top for the .pdf file that explains the new ordinance. Basically, allows ORV/ATV on roads with a speed limit less than 35 mph. Interesting, but doesn't do a thing for me personally. Only applies to county roads that are listed in the resolution. 

http://www.co.chelan.wa.us/index.htm

• schrode

Get Help Now

5,703 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 23, 2013 - 03:43 PM

kickass!!!

• Blind Stroker

TT Member

96 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 23, 2013 - 04:43 PM

And just how many rural county roads have a speed limit less than 35mph? Not many in my experience. It seems like a somewhat useless law that the State passed to me but maybe I am just missing the value?

• mlyamkaw

TT Bronze Member

312 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:16 PM

And just how many rural county roads have a speed limit less than 35mph? Not many in my experience. It seems like a somewhat useless law that the State passed to me but maybe I am just missing the value?

Actually, I think it means I don't need that plate on my 300 that was taken away a couple years ago. I could ride from my house to the trails, and looking at the road list, I can do it again now! Expect to see more tard by tards (UTV) and quadtards out in the forest as well. It looks like it opens up the forest roads to them and bikes.

• trailwhale

TT Silver Member

935 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Apparently you didn't follow the link and drill down to the resolution exhibits.... As only one qualifing road in the unincorporated portion of Chelan County is off limits. Right now. A prime example of usage would loops that want to visit 25 mile creek state park to get gas and or refreshments when riding the devils backbone and pot peak.

• Blind Stroker

TT Member

96 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Apparently you didn't follow the link and drill down to the resolution exhibits.... As only one qualifing road in the unincorporated portion of Chelan County is off limits. Right now. A prime example of usage would loops that want to visit 25 mile creek state park to get gas and or refreshments when riding the devils backbone and pot peak.

I stand corrected. Chelan did a good thing here. I hope Other counties will follow their lead!

• tod701

TT Addict

4,471 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:41 PM

. It looks like it opens up the forest roads to them and bikes.

Only county roads.

Nothing the county says or does forces the USFS to open any road to ORV use that they don't want open.

• Slackkinhard

Lost in Space

13,870 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Heck, lets go tomorrow. I'll ditch.  I just got done putting in two 18hr days.  Is this official right now?

I think we can stage at deer camp, go down lower Mad and up into Tyee country to avoid the closures, then make our way over there. :excuseme:

• tek9tim

TT Bronze Member

147 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Only county roads.

Nothing the county says or does forces the USFS to open any road to ORV use that they don't want open.

Yup. So the dream of riding from Pot Peak TH to 25 mile would involve a risky run down the FS road until you hit the county road. I like that this passed, but it is only useful in the context that the travel management plan the FS is working on would allow ORV usage on their roads. Whether that makes it from the first draft to what actually ends up in place is yet to be seen. 

Chelan county doesn't have very many county roads with a speed limit over 35. Entiat River road, the south shore road on Chelan beyond Navarre Coulee, the Lake Wenatchee highway (the stretch from the north entrance of the state park to the snow park in the Little Wenatchee), and Apple Acres road actually sum up most of the county roads in Chelan county that are over 35. The ones that are over 35 really connect things together though. 

• Slackkinhard

Lost in Space

13,870 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Yup. So the dream of riding from Pot Peak TH to 25 mile would involve a risky run down the FS road until you hit the county road. I like that this passed, but it is only useful in the context that the travel management plan the FS is working on would allow ORV usage on their roads. Whether that makes it from the first draft to what actually ends up in place is yet to be seen. 

Chelan county doesn't have very many county roads with a speed limit over 35. Entiat River road, the south shore road on Chelan beyond Navarre Coulee, the Lake Wenatchee highway (the stretch from the north entrance of the state park to the snow park in the Little Wenatchee), and Apple Acres road actually sum up most of the county roads in Chelan county that are over 35. The ones that are over 35 really connect things together though. 

How far is it from the county road to 25mile on FS road?  Where's the dividing line?

• tek9tim

TT Bronze Member

147 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:18 AM

How far is it from the county road to 25mile on FS road?  Where's the dividing line?

Don't quote me, because it's been a couple months since I've been over there and my good maps don't cover Chelan, but I believe it is where the 8410 forks off the shady pass road. Leaves a pretty short stretch for you to ride on FS road. 

• Slackkinhard

Lost in Space

13,870 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:18 AM

Don't quote me, because it's been a couple months since I've been over there and my good maps don't cover Chelan, but I believe it is where the 8410 forks off the shady pass road. Leaves a pretty short stretch for you to ride on FS road. 

gotcha...thanks.

I gotta plate, and some broken lights...I don't see that stretch as too risky.

• n16ht5

TT Titanium Member

2,970 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:41 AM

You should be fine, post pics if you go

Edited by n16ht5, October 24, 2013 - 06:42 AM.

• Slackkinhard

Lost in Space

13,870 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:47 AM

You should be fine, post pics if you go

I'm not gonna make it today.  Boss called staff at 10am this morning......:thumbsdn:

• trailwhale

TT Silver Member

935 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Do you remember where the first house was on the gravel road just before turning onto the road for Snowberry CG and the Pot Peak trailhead when we did the loop a few weeks ago on saturday in the rain/snow when Joe had his motorhome at Lake Creek?

The County road ends somewhere in the area of the Snowberry CG access road/Shady Pass road intersection.....

betting county sheriffs are going to pretty much stop writing tickets for ORV on Forest Service roads, too, with this legislation as the DA is going to not want the workload.....

Go here and put "292035430000" in the PROPERTY SEARCH DIALOG BOX. Then click zoom in the lower corner of the record dialog box that pops up...

http://atlas2013.co....helanCountyGIS/

Edited by trailwhale, October 24, 2013 - 10:32 AM.

• trailwhale

TT Silver Member

935 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not gonna make it today.  Boss called staff at 10am this morning...... :thumbsdn:

Tomorrow somewhere?

• Smacaroni

Get Help Now

8,101 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Sounds great. Enjoy it till some fool kills a kid doing a ton on his Yamaha Banshee. When that happens be sure to point out the cup holder where Bud light can was when he crashed.

• mlyamkaw

TT Bronze Member

312 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:51 PM

I've already seen two qwads riding through the city, which wasn't supposed to be part of the deal. And I didn't know it was legal yet anyway. Both had turn signals and mirrors.
Yes, someone will probably get hurt and screw it up, but kinda cool to see, even if they do have 2 tires too many.

• tod701

TT Addict

4,471 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sounds great. Enjoy it till some fool kills a kid doing a ton on his Yamaha Banshee. When that happens be sure to point out the cup holder where Bud light can was when he crashed.

Cupholder - LOL.

It'll likely be an entire cooler full (or nearly empty) strapped on the back of the quad.

The WSP and Legislature are tracking things like this and some of the anti-ORV people can hardly wait for a good excuse to repeal all ORV road use laws.

• gooch

TT Bronze Member

257 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 12, 2014 - 08:06 AM

so you can ride a DIRT BIKE on these county roads with NO other requirments like the metal tag they talk about for WATV's?

I'm just asking to make it a little clearer for me. I can ride from the trail, pop out onto one of the listed roads and cruise at 30mph with no worries?  

Sorry if these seem like bone head questions. Ive been called worse..

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.