Too much freeplay gain with exp 2.0

11 replies to this topic
  • nardski659

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hey guys, I have a 06 yz450 and I put a rekluse exp2.0 in it yesterday but I had way too much freeplay gain in the lever, probably at least an inch. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have a solution for my problem? Thanks in advance for any help, I guess I'll call rekluse tomorrow, I hear their customer service is great too

• nardski659

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Forgot to mention I turned the adjuster as far as I could but it didn't seem to help

• JLB943

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Are the clutch plates worn a lot? Are you certain that you have put the correct number of steels and friction plates in according to the diagram? These are the things that I would check. I assume you have put the rubber band on the lever and are revving the bike at it is travelling more than 1/8 to 1/4".

• nardski659

Posted October 24, 2013 - 02:25 PM

The clutch is almost new as the bike has about 15 hours on it, I am sure I put the correct number of disks in, I did realize after tht I reused the stock pressure plate springs, I swapped those out with the rekluse blue ones but haven't had a chance to try it. Not sure if those would make a difference or not

• blurz28

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:17 PM

You probably have too many friction disks in.....
I have an 06 YZ 450 and put an exp 2.0 last week.
I put 6 under the exp and 1 on the outside..... And I had a huge amount of play and couldn't get it to engage properly.
I did it in a hurry cause I was excited to try it out.
Then I sat down and read I was supposed to use 6 stock friction disks - 5 under and 1 above the exp....
And don't forget the extra spacer on the throwout.....

An easy way to tell if it's using the right # is you should have 3 stock friction/steel disks left over

• Monk

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Read the manual again. The answer is there....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nardski659

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:39 PM

I ended up getting enough adjustment but it was pretty much maxed out. I'll have to count the disks again this weekend. Thanks for the help

• nardski659

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:48 PM

And you mean the washer on the throw out right? I don't remember any extra spacer in the kit

• blurz28

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, there should be a 2-3 mm thick spacer in the kit that goes on the throwout.

• nardski659

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:26 AM

You were right, I looked through my spare parts and there it was, it helped a bit with the adjustment. Thanks again for the info

• blurz28

Posted November 05, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Glad it helped

• nardski659

Posted November 05, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I did run into a small snag though. When I was reinstalling the throw-out, I misplaced the little steel ball that fits inside it, went to the local parts store and got a new one but I couldn't find the other one anywhere. This might sound really dumb but if it fell into the motor is it going to trash it? I just ordered a mag oil drain plug in hopes of pulling it out in one piece. I'm really hoping not to have to tear the engine apart to look for it. I was working on it in my driveway on a hill so chances are it went for a roll but it's still got me worried

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.