12/13 WR450F Moving Ignition Coil Assembly?

16 replies to this topic
  • mch

Posted October 21, 2013 - 02:16 PM

After purchasing my 2012 WR, I immediately noticed the Ignition Coil Assembly was mounted in a really poor location (right next to the left radiator).  After crashing the other day, I twisted that radiator real bad and a lot of the damage came from impacting the Coil Assembly.   Have any of you been able to move it to a better location / have some ideas (besides not crashing) to prevent the same thing from happening in the future?

Radiator.jpg

Edited by mch, October 21, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

• Corkster

Posted October 21, 2013 - 02:34 PM

I had exactly the same thing happen with the feeble GYTR radiator braces that just bent on the first decent crash.  I have since fitted much stronger ones and have not had any problems since.  The coil is close but this is not an issue if the radiators don't bend back.  There are plenty of threads here discussing the various options for radiator guards and braces.

• mch

Posted October 21, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I had exactly the same thing happen with the feeble GYTR radiator braces that just bent on the first decent crash.  I have since fitted much stronger ones and have not had any problems since.  The coil is close but this is not an issue if the radiators don't bend back.  There are plenty of threads here discussing the various options for radiator guards and braces.

Which guards did you end up using? I'm thinking I might just buy Chinese radiators next time, but want to make sure radiator guards fit them.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 21, 2013 - 04:14 PM

I had the exact same thing happen too, except that I didn't crash, I had a big log end catch the bottom tank on the left rad.

Some of the other Yamaha bikes have the coil integrated into the spark plug lead. I wonder if that would work with our bikes ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 21, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

• Corkster

Posted October 21, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Which guards did you end up using? I'm thinking I might just buy Chinese radiators next time, but want to make sure radiator guards fit them.

I have the unabiker guards - tough as.

• Corkster

Posted October 21, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I bent my radiator back into line - it was suprisingly easy with soft jaws in a vice, some blocks of wood and a light hammer on the wood.

• albertlui

Posted November 26, 2013 - 10:06 PM

The ignition coil placed in this location(photo) is quite hazard to radiator, my friend nearly broken the radiator by the coil after a crash.  Anybody tried to relocate the coil?  In my old 06WR, the coil was combined with spark plug cap.  Is it possible to use it in 13WR?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1475887_10152067343491285_1257995215_n.jpg

• Navaho6

Posted November 30, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Just looked at that on my new bike. That is a massive bracket that it is mounted to.  Does it have to be mounted so rigidly ???

I would look at putting it up above the head, between the radiators but I will not have time to mess with mine until next weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:36 AM

New WR uses a TCI ignition coil. Cannot use the '06 on the '12+. Completely different.  Looked at the 2012 and 2013 YZ's and they are using a CDI coil.  2014 parts diagram on the new YZ, shows the coil (different from the WR) just above the engine.

Maybe you could fabricate a new bracket that is a tad longer than oem (just long enough to get it past the engine/radiator pinch point.  Maybe add some additional bracing if you use a much thinner material for your bracket.  The oem bracket looks like it could hold 3 lbs!!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't see this as problem

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 02, 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't see this as problem

My left radiator was struck by a big branch on a cut down tree. It hit the tank square on and stopped the bike cold. Bent back the left rad. No damage to the rad except where it collided with the friggin coil.

There was a thread about the coil placement being a problem a few weeks ago.

I intend to move my coil as well. I won't have time to work on it for a while.

• Navaho6

Posted December 02, 2013 - 04:46 PM

The hit to a radiator is more likely to be a side impact but anything can happen.  Now that I've said that, it will probably happen to me. Longer bracket seams like an easy fix.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 02, 2013 - 05:05 PM

GYT-R rad braces would prevent this.

• clevochild

Posted December 04, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yep, prick of a spot for a coil. Second to that the bracket that holds it to the bike could be used to lift the titanic and weighs about as much.

I've done two coil relocations on these bikes. The first I put it under the fuel tank between the top frame rails right up near the head stem. Very difficult, tight and I had to re route some electrics.

The second and much easier was to relocate it to the kickstarter side of the bike as in the pic below. Made a simple ally bracket and welded it to the top engine support. If you do this just make sure the coil is positioned far enough forward to clear the end of the kickstarter. Bikes filthy....... but you get the idea.

coil_zpsb37e5b20.jpg

• Navaho6

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Does it connect with one bolt or two?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 04, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yep, prick of a spot for a coil. Second to that the bracket that holds it to the bike could be used to lift the titanic and weighs about as much.

I've done two coil relocations on these bikes. The first I put it under the fuel tank between the top frame rails right up near the head stem. Very difficult, tight and I had to re route some electrics.

The second and much easier was to relocate it to the kickstarter side of the bike as in the pic below. Made a simple ally bracket and welded it to the top engine support. If you do this just make sure the coil is positioned far enough forward to clear the end of the kickstarter. Bikes filthy....... but you get the idea.

coil_zpsb37e5b20.jpg

Yeah, the reason the coil is out in the air away from exhaust and cylinder heat, is so it will not get 'compansion' abuse from all that heat.

The worst thing you can do to a piece of electronics is get it too hot. The next worse thing you can do is have it cool down unevenly, or too fast.

If you use Mohard radiator guards, it's a non issue. The radiators will not move.

Edited by Krannie, December 04, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

• clevochild

Posted December 04, 2013 - 10:06 PM

connects with two bolts, the bracket extends under the coil.

The one I put under the tank had 5800 trouble free kms on it while I had the bike.

A mates (who I copied this off) has done similar.

Time will tell but I'll be very surprised if I ever have coil trouble.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.