Would a WR450 be too much bike for me?

10 replies to this topic
  • logansowner

Posted December 30, 2003 - 02:32 PM

As most of youknow now, I plan to get back into riding after a 3 season absence. I and allmost certian I want a WR rather then the YZF, but I want to know whether I should get a 250 or 450.

I am, um... let's say, "heavier then I should be". I don't plan to race (but if I chose to compete locally, both WR's are fairly easy to change to YZ spec, right?) I ride mainly to get to the sand pits around my house (3 huge ones) so I spend time on fire roads and train tracks which have been torn up and fully maintaned into very smooth trails. So I ride hills and fairly wide trails. Also, I am capable of handling a 450, so killing myself isn't an issue, but for my weight I am not sure if a 250 will get me moving like I want to. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 30, 2003 - 03:08 PM

At 200+ lbs get a 450! :)

• oldbones

Posted December 30, 2003 - 03:24 PM

In stock trim, a WR450 is a very rideable, tame bike by most any standards. It takes a little work (not too much) to unleash the fire within, so don't fear, get the 450. The only reason I would say to get the 250 is if you were going to spend more than say 80% of your time in the tight woods, then the 250 might be worth thinking about...

• logansowner

Posted December 30, 2003 - 03:46 PM

At 200+ lbs get a 450! :D

Well, I'm 190 with gear. But what is so funny about that? :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 30, 2003 - 06:13 PM

I am not laughing about your weight. I am just laughing at my dumb logic. The 250 will work for even heavy riders like myself. If you like to rev a bike and run the engine hard get the 250. if you like to lug and short shift a bike get the 450. The bikes weigh and handle very similarily. It comes down to the engine characteristics you want. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • logansowner

Posted December 30, 2003 - 06:18 PM

OK, I didn't think you were laughing at my weight, but I didn't see why you were, I do now though.

It sounds like from your explanation that I would be better suited to the 250 at I enjoy the thrill of felling like I am good enough to handle the bike's full performance, even if I'm not. :D Thanks :)

• WR450F_4600FT

Posted December 30, 2003 - 09:40 PM

Get the 450 because in stock form It's a slug (w/pipe tip in) then as you get Feeling better w/ the thing just start uncorking it for free rather then getting the 250 and wanting to spend a bunch of $ on go fast stuff. Unless as stated before you want to ride tight trails and the lighter weight and more flickable bike would out weigh the all out power. Mine is the best bike I've ever ridden for everything except the MX track. Then I'm sold on the CRF 450 only because I have ridden it at the track and not the YZF yet. Good luck
:) :D

• logansowner

Posted December 31, 2003 - 08:01 PM

Get the 450 because in stock form It's a slug (w/pipe tip in) then as you get Feeling better w/ the thing just start uncorking it for free rather then getting the 250 and wanting to spend a bunch of $ on go fast stuff. Unless as stated before you want to ride tight trails and the lighter weight and more flickable bike would out weigh the all out power. Mine is the best bike I've ever ridden for everything except the MX track. Then I'm sold on the CRF 450 only because I have ridden it at the track and not the YZF yet. Good luck
:D :D

How much of a slug are we talking about? Will a completely box-stock 450 out power a 250F with the free mods?

I'm really glad I have till spring to decide, because people with each bike have made great cases for each...atleast if I am going to go crazy thinking about something, it might aswell be dirtbikes :)

• IceBox

Posted January 05, 2004 - 10:53 AM

I decided on the WR450 and just spent 4 days in the sand at Little Sahara in Oklahoma. I didn't have to tax my motor nearly as much as my friends with WR250's. The bike is very tame in stock form if you are careful with the throttle. It revs slower and makes for more tractable power. I'm 6'3" and weight 195 lbs, I am very happy I chose the 450 over the 250. I also ride some on the roads to and from trails and it really works great. It sure is fun to blast up past 80 mph.

• logansowner

Posted January 05, 2004 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I now have a $1000 downpayment on a wr450 :) I paid the taxes and put the 100 down on it and now I will pay the 6400 left over the next 12 months. The sad part is, I won't have it untill March :D He said he had 4 more ordered and that it would take that long to get it in, but isn't that quite a long time for ordering a bike? Not like it really matters, there will be snow untill April anyway, but it still seemed unreasonably long though.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 05, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Hey, the longer I ride a large displacement bike, the smaller it feels over time. The 250 may feel small quicker than the 450. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.