'02 426 Engine Noise

3 replies to this topic
  • Yammer-Hammer

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:09 PM

On my last ride i noticed a strange noise comming from my engine, so every now and then i hear a grinding noise, its comming from the flywheel side of the engine and it sounds like metal rubbing, and its not consistent, ill hear it for like a split second then it goes away, and il hear it again maybe 5 or 10 minutes later. So its not a constant noise.  It more of a metal on metal rubbing sound.   Any help is appreciated.  and how much oil is behind the flywheel cover? Cause i wanna pull it without making a huge mess

• jojo1224

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Lay the bike on its right side and you wont loose any oil, I just had to pull my ignition cover because of a bad misfire and noise and found the lower bolt for the pickup missing. I found parts of it stuck to my flywheel and a bit on my magnetic drain plug. I ended up cleaning the flywheel of shavings and since I have lots of spares I swapped in a good used complete stator but not before I put locktite on all the little screws. I could see some damage on the stator and some small marks on the flywheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thommo_400f

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:22 AM

Check your chain for slap.
You would be surprised how often chain noise can be miss interpreted.

• Yammer-Hammer

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Check your chain for slap.
You would be surprised how often chain noise can be miss interpreted.

It can happen when not in motion, just sitting there idleing

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.