Stock Air Filter problems, Help??

10 replies to this topic
  • FASTFRANK

Posted December 21, 2001 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys,
Was cleaning my 426 last night and decided to clean my air filter. Of course it was fairly dirty but after cleaning it I noticed that the inside lip that mounts up to the airbox is coming apart. I noticed a little of this last time I cleaned the filter and thought maybe a mouse had been chewing on it but there was no evidence of that in the bottom of the airbox. Now after this cleaning session it is coming all apart. What's up, are the factory filters that weak that they can't even stand to be cleaned but 2 or 3 times. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. What aftermarket filter would you recommend? K&N or Uni?? Any others? Let me know guys so I can avoid this problem in the future?? Yamaha needs to make some better factory filters? Anyway any responses will be helpful. Merry Christmas to all!! Hope everyone gets to rip it over the Holidays!! :D :)

• yzfguy

Posted December 21, 2001 - 04:52 AM

what are you cleaning the filter with?? i use 2 types of filters..but i have tried them all... stock is very good.. also twin-air.. uni is very hard to get back in the airbox straight... i also use the no-toil cleaner and oil... i can clean it in my bathroon sink.. very easy...no messy at all...

• FASTFRANK

Posted December 21, 2001 - 05:36 AM

I AM CLEANING THE FILTER WITH K&N CLEANER SPRAY, SPRAY IT LET IT SOAK FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN WASH WITH WARM WATER AND LET DRY, THEN SPRAY WITH K&N FILTER OIL, USUALLY DOES A GREAT JOB BUT DON'T PUT TO MUCH OIL ON FILTER OR YOU WILL FOUL A PLUG I FOUND THE HARD WAY THE FIRST TIME I CLEANED THE FILTER...LOL

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 21, 2001 - 06:05 AM

Read your oil and especially cleaner can carefully! K&N makes a lot of gause filters and if I remember correctly the cleaner for those will make a foam filter fall apart. If you've got the gauze filter cleaner and oil then trade those for products specifically designed for foam filters. I've washed the stock filter many times and it's holding up geat for me so far (I use PJ1 foam filter cleaner and oil).

• 99400f

Posted December 21, 2001 - 07:27 AM

i've use dishwashing liquid and throw in dryer with some shop towels..like new..i use very little or no oil when its muddy or tacky...and a little more when dusty and dry..clean it after every ride on dusty days i replace it after each moto !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roostin426

Posted December 21, 2001 - 09:01 AM

i noticed the seal around my intake looked "chewed" around the bottom of the filter, but there was enough left to seal around the box with some grease. i was a little concerned about this too! I'm keepin my eye on it for further damage, i guess i have to wait till march though

• RichB

Posted December 21, 2001 - 01:34 PM

Frank,

My stock filter is chewed up on in one place on the sealing surface. There is obviously a defect in Yamaha's filter with these bikes. I went out and bought a White Bros filter and will only use the stocker in an emergency/bind now. Spend the $20 and get a Twin-Air or White bros and be done with it.

I know its not me because I've cleaned my filters the same way dating back to my 93 YZ250 and never had a filter come apart like this one is doing. I used 2 filters over the course of 4 years on the 93, and I've used the same uni on my 00 KX that I originally bought for my 97 KX.

p.s. Knock on wood, but I've never lost a top end in almost 10 years now, ride every weekend year-round, and change the piston once a year need it or not.

Peace,

Rich

• marion

Posted December 21, 2001 - 08:26 PM

No toil oil, grease and cleaner are awesome. My YZ 250 & YZ 400 filter are interchangeable, I have five filters, wash them all together, pre oil the extra filter, place in plastic bag and have clean one ready and willing.

All filters last beteen 5 & 20 cleanings. Trash it and buy two. The two no toil filters that I recieved were free when I purchased there cleaning products.
GREAT DEAL.

• mxracer553

Posted December 22, 2001 - 06:34 AM

I use silkolene filter cleaner it rules. And you can use for months. I clean my filter about every ride. More air more power! Twin airs are good and so are stock but stay away from UNI filters they are two peice and they suck.

Kylee Wylee

• yzernie

Posted December 22, 2001 - 08:32 AM

I use either No Toil, Twin Air or White Bros filters. They are all single stage filters and allow better airflow. I use the No Toil filter oil, cleaner and grease (any waterproof grease would work). I like knowing that I can clean them in my garage sink. It is nice being able to avoid having to use harsh chemicals to clean filters.

Ernie

• moto614

Posted December 30, 2001 - 11:37 PM

guys i had the same problem,picked up my bike from the dealer and took it home was doing the normal new bike teardown and grease,upon taking the filter out to oil and grease it noticed a nice half inch long tear in the filter sealing lip area(i hadn't even ridden the bike yet)so back to my dealer with the defective filter in hand expecting the "NO WARRANTY ON RACE BIKE"speach(although i know yz's have a limited warranty)and they gave me a new TWIN AIR as a replacement!with no argument(cool)so i think someone knows there is a problem somewhere.have had my bike now about 5 months and have cleaned the filter on a regular basis with no problems as yet.just my .02

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.