FMF for '14?

14 replies to this topic
  • motoxjeff

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Anyone running an FMF yet for the '14 YZ 450F? Looks like you lose a little bottom for more on top....

Anyone try different offset for better cornering from Ride Engineering?

I'm getting mine next week, and I'm super pumped!

• BBrown626

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Rode my new steed today. Unless FMF is giving you the pipe I'd ride it for a bit first. I doubt I will change the muffler. The power is comparable to 10 with an aftermarket pipe and then some. It pulls really strong and through to the top from what I could tell today. Same thoughts on the different offset. Yamaha changed a lot to improve the handling. Why do you want to fix it before you ride it? It is much better than a '10-'13. 

It corners pretty well out of the box. My first couple sessions I didn't touch anything other than verifying tire pressure and moved the bars to the forward position due to my height. Stock springs and clickers with my 220lbs and it was pretty good. I am comparing to a 2010 that had been revalved, resprung, DRD engine relocation and lots of tweaking to improve handling. I had a Yoshi full system too. 

Edited by BBrown626, October 19, 2013 - 07:32 PM.

• swaldrop

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:04 PM

^^^ What he said ^^^

If you simply can not help yourself from spending money on your new $8k+ dirt bike, just go buy a bunch of fancy anodized parts or maybe get set some sweet stickers. Just don't try and 'fix' what isn't confirmed to be broken yet. How do you know what way to go if you have no measuring stick to speak of? I have read post and post about all of the changes people are making to a bike they have never ridden. I just don't get it.

• drtrcr400

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Anyone running an FMF yet for the '14 YZ 450F? Looks like you lose a little bottom for more on top....

Anyone try different offset for better cornering from Ride Engineering?

I'm getting mine next week, and I'm super pumped!

What makes you think the FMF equipped bike lost power down low? Is it because the curve starts later on the graph? Because that's simply the dyno operator pressing the"Record" button later than in the stock run. The bike actually GAINS power down low, mirrors stock in the middle then continues to pull harder up top.

• motoxjeff

Posted October 20, 2013 - 03:32 PM

^^^ What he said ^^^

If you simply can not help yourself from spending money on your new $8k+ dirt bike, just go buy a bunch of fancy anodized parts or maybe get set some sweet stickers. Just don't try and 'fix' what isn't confirmed to be broken yet. How do you know what way to go if you have no measuring stick to speak of? I have read post and post about all of the changes people are making to a bike they have never ridden. I just don't get it.

Boys, simmer down.  If I have an 8k+ bike and want to spend a million dollars on after market parts its my %$#$%# prerogative!!  I'm actually asking people who HAVE the bike, and HAVE the riding reports with after market parts.  If you dont have anything useful to say, other than bust my balls, please dont post.  I have set-up plenty of bikes (I get a new bike every year) and I know what I want in a bike.

Everyone who I've talked to that bought the bike, has re-mapped it.  Not to mention every magazine says to re-map it.  So ya, I'll re-map it before I ride it.  I'll also get the suspension revalved for my height, weight, and riding ability.  

I didnt say I wanted to get offset clamps, or a pipe yet.  I was curious to hear if anyone else has, and what they thought of it.

• motoxjeff

Posted October 20, 2013 - 03:34 PM

What makes you think the FMF equipped bike lost power down low? Is it because the curve starts later on the graph? Because that's simply the dyno operator pressing the"Record" button later than in the stock run. The bike actually GAINS power down low, mirrors stock in the middle then continues to pull harder up top.

I did not know that the operator could press record later or earlier in a dyno map, so yes thats what I was referring too.  Now I know...thanks.  I'll obviously ride the bike with the stock set up and go from there.

• swaldrop

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Boys, simmer down...

I was trying to be useful, albeit in a smart ass fashion ;) Here's what I was hoping you would take away from that...

Before you spend any time or money changing the bike, ride it in stock trim. This is the only way you will know if the direction you go is the right one. It's not about the money. It's about the risk you run of screwing your bike up. There is no such thing as a 'better' or 'best' valve stack that you are guaranteed to be happy with without first riding it and finding out what it does or doesn't do. Any suspension tuner who truly has your best interest in mind will tell you the same thing.

As far as the power tuner goes, for me, it is just a glorified hour meter. It did prove useful for the first few weeks I had my 2011 however. My problem was the extremely strong hit off the bottom that I just couldn't get used to. I read all about these different maps that did this and did that. I ordered it up and would mess with maps every time I would go to the track. While I liked some of what they did, it invariably led to a sacrifice elsewhere and made the bike feel a bit off. The hit was annoying, but at least it was predictable. 

After messing with it for a while, I ended up buying a Yoshi slip on. That was it! Stock map and that pipe made the motor perfect. I tried a few maps after and had the same results as before. Went back to stock and for the last 3 years, I have never once felt that my motor lacked in any way at all. I would bolt it up to my next bike if I could. 

I'm not saying to keep it stock. I would just ride it that way first and see what you think. It may surprise you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoscotty

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Anyone running an FMF yet for the '14 YZ 450F? Looks like you lose a little bottom for more on top....Anyone try different offset for better cornering from Ride Engineering? I'm getting mine next week, and I'm super pumped!

I have a 4.1 slip on that was free thankfully as I don't notice much gain over the stock silencer.
It is much lighter I will say but that's about it. It k
Looks pretty cool tho

• BBrown626

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Jeff,

where did you find reviews with suggested settings or changing the links?

I am finding very little information.

Thank you,

Brent

• motoxjeff

Posted October 25, 2013 - 04:40 AM

Brent,

It's plastered all over MXA's last edition. Under the science of the bike.

They talk about using Preston's map, and getting a longer link. My first ride will be weds night. Very excited

• rk8950

Posted October 25, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Brent,

They talk about using Preston's map, and getting a longer link. My first ride will be weds night. Very excited

Let us know what you think. I am still on the fence about switching to one.  

• BBrown626

Posted October 25, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Brent,

I guess I'll have to pick up a copy,

Thanks.

• ardfarkl

Posted October 29, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Rode mine for the first time Sunday.  AWESOME!

• DDMX18

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Rode mine for the first time last weekend, in short its awesome. I'm coming off a 2011 YZ450 with GYTR cams and piston, full fmf exhaust and 20mm offset triple clamps and suspension mods so it was set up right for me. The '14 has more power in the midrange (weve dyno'd both bikes to compare) . The handling is a marked improvement and It turns so much better and doesnt have that "push" that i couldnt get rid of on the old one. I've got the FMF system on it and it has boosted the mid a little over stock, its more tractable than my old one which had more top end. FMF have advised to run the stock map and so far thats been good for me. I'll be trying a few maps soon and would like to hear what others are running.

Attached Thumbnails

• yz450 '14.jpg

• jc6711

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Any body running the pro circuit exhaust yet - http://www.procircui...-yz450f-14.html

IMO looks 10x better then the fmf, but hate the price tag lol. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.