GYTR programmer operation on YZ450s ?

6 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have a 2012 WR450 which has EFI. It uses the same programmer that the 2010+ Z450F does.

I love my WR. I have removed the battery and starter from my bike to save weight. I've removed 22 pounds in all.

My GYTR programmer works fine in monitor mode with the engine running. I can see RPM, temp,etc, just fine.

When I try to upload a map to the ECU with the engine shut off, there is a diode that prevents the programmer from supplying the ECU with power. Being that my bike no longer has a battery, the ECU thus isn't powered up and the upload fails.

If I jumper out the diode, the programmer tries to power up the entire bike including the fuel pump. It thus doesn't have enough power to run itself properly and doesn't really start up. Thus I can't upload a map that way either.

A complete discussion of this situation, including a comparison with the YZ schematics is located here. http://www.thumperta...e-with-the-ecu/

I have some questions for you YZ450F owners.

1) Will the GYTR programmer upload a map to your bikes with the engine running ?

2) Does your fuel pump run when you turn on the programmer ?

3) Does the programmer ever not have enough power to program your ECU ?

4) What exactly is powered up on your bike when the programmer is connected and on ?

Thanks

• Zien19

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have a 2012 WR450 which has EFI. It uses the same programmer that the 2010+ Z450F does.

I love my WR. I have removed the battery and starter from my bike to save weight. I've removed 22 pounds in all.

My GYTR programmer works fine in monitor mode with the engine running. I can see RPM, temp,etc, just fine.

When I try to upload a map to the ECU with the engine shut off, there is a diode that prevents the programmer from supplying the ECU with power. Being that my bike no longer has a battery, the ECU thus isn't powered up and the upload fails.

If I jumper out the diode, the programmer tries to power up the entire bike including the fuel pump. It thus doesn't have enough power to run itself properly and doesn't really start up. Thus I can't upload a map that way either.

A complete discussion of this situation, including a comparison with the YZ schematics is located here. http://www.thumperta...e-with-the-ecu/

I have some questions for you YZ450F owners.

1) Will the GYTR programmer upload a map to your bikes with the engine running ?

2) Does your fuel pump run when you turn on the programmer ?

3) Does the programmer ever not have enough power to program your ECU ?

4) What exactly is powered up on your bike when the programmer is connected and on ?

Thanks

1 No the ecu cannot be programmed with the engine running.

2. The fuel pump does not run when the programmer is on with the engine off.

3 Yes the programmer does have enough juice to program the ecu. But if the batteries in the programmer are marginal it will not turn on while plugged into the bike.

4. Not sure but nothing seams to come to mind except the ecu.

• zeuszuki

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I have programmed both. You need to have the 'ignition' button on when programming a WR to provide the link from the ecu to the programmer, you should not need an external power source ( eg: the original WR battery ).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 16, 2013 - 02:38 AM

1 No the ecu cannot be programmed with the engine running.

2. The fuel pump does not run when the programmer is on with the engine off.

^^ This is the difference between the bikes. The low side of the fuel pump circuit is controlled by the ECU on both bikes. On the WR the fuel pump runs when the programmer is plugged in and the diode is shorted. On the YZ it doesn't run. The ECUs are programmed differently.

Thanks for sharing that. Now that I know, I can proceed to figure out a solution.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 16, 2013 - 02:54 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 16, 2013 - 02:53 AM

I have programmed both. You need to have the 'ignition' button on when programming a WR to provide the link from the ecu to the programmer, you should not need an external power source ( eg: the original WR battery ).

The ignition button has been removed from my bike. (0.11 pounds for the switch alone, btw) It is not needed now that my bike has no battery. It has been hard wired on.

If you look at the WR schematic, the ignition switch is not part of the circuit between the programmer and the ECU. The ignition switch only serves to turn off the circuit between the battery and the rest of the bike.

• zeuszuki

Posted October 16, 2013 - 09:47 PM

The ignition button has been removed from my bike. (0.11 pounds for the switch alone, btw) It is not needed now that my bike has no battery. It has been hard wired on.If you look at the WR schematic, the ignition switch is not part of the circuit between the programmer and the ECU. The ignition switch only serves to turn off the circuit between the battery and the rest of the bike.

This is likely another one of those Euro vs US differences ?
If your ignition switch is hard wired you should be good to go. Over here there is a small harness that requires installation ( its under the seat located by the cross brace ) , if this is not fitted then no programming .
Is your bike Euro spec' ?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:57 PM

My bike is not EU.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.