12' wr450f uncorking

9 replies to this topic
  • ffmdq450

Posted October 15, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hello to all from the Noob!
Just got a new Yamaha 2012 WR450F. So far I installed the competition ECU with the shorter throttle stop. Included a pic for a visual of the difference of the two screws.
I used a T25 star for the old and new screw. I immediately noticed a difference with new ECU right out of the box.
Also removed my "Pee-shooter" from my exhaust, at least i sound a little more reputable at the track.
Next stop is steering damper, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Exhaust is a little further out due to cost again, open to suggestions.

Thanks for any input.1381875637026.jpg

• thirdcoaster

Posted October 16, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Congratulations on the new bike!  I have a '12 myself, and am running the GPR damper and very pleased with it.  There are many choices for exhaust depending on what you want out of one (pun intended).  I prefer a quiet bike and went with the FMF Q4.  

What fuel/ignition map are you running?  I assume you have the programmer.  You can really customize the power delivery to your riding situation/style with different mapping.

If you don't need different springs to accommodate your weight, optimizing the suspension settings is like a free upgrade...just takes some riding time (which is what we love anyway).

• ffmdq450

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:08 AM

just taking the restrictor out of the exhaust made a huge difference, looking for power not noise. 

I don't have the programmer yet, stock comp ecu out of the box was a noticeable difference and the "popping" while decelerating went away. 

had a buddy of mine help me with suspension changes at local track, still changing things around here and there. yesterday was the first day at track with shorty throttle stop and new ECU......spent most of the day holding on for dear life, it was great!

• butchtx19

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:38 PM

I just picked my 2013 wr450 today & ordered the gytr comp.ecu.What I would like to know is where the throttle stop screw is located this my first Yamaha thanks for any help in this matter.

• thirdcoaster

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I just picked my 2013 wr450 today & ordered the gytr comp.ecu.What I would like to know is where the throttle stop screw is located this my first Yamaha thanks for any help in this matter.

It is on the bottom of the right-hand side of the throttle body, but work from the left side of the bike to remove it. You need a 25T tamper proof torx socket. A 1/4 drive ratchet will get in there to break it loose.

Edited by thirdcoaster, October 21, 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ffmdq450

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I used a t25 screw...it was a pain to get out. I had to remove the breather tube and move a few wires to barely get half my hand in there. There some pics in previous posts about uncorking.

• butchtx19

Posted October 20, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for your help. I found the screw & removed it & uncorked the exaust all I can say is WOW. Again thank you everybody for the help.I cant wait too get the new ecu & programmer.

• MConde85

Posted November 22, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Another thing you can do is remove the rubber snorkel  from on top of the airbox. Helps her breath a little more. 

I haven't done much to mine other then an FMF exhaust and it does pop on decel. I put a re-usable oil filter in and change my oil every couple rides with Rotella diesel oil. 

• ffmdq450

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:53 AM

The new computer got rid of the pop for me.

• Navaho6

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:46 PM

How much is the FMF muffler and programmer?  I saw that the comp. ecu was $100. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.