buying a 2003 yz450f, supermoto wheel questions.

5 replies to this topic
  • flyhotstuff

Posted October 14, 2013 - 01:01 PM

I am getting this bike on a good deal, I want to put supermoto wheels on there. Is it possible buy the rim and correct spokes for the rim and use the stock dirt bike hub for immediate compatibility with rotor and brakes, instead if swapping out the hubs with excel and having to determine the spacing?

• Geoffit

Posted October 14, 2013 - 02:05 PM

You can buy spokes and a rim and lace it up Buchanans in California is the best source. If you get rim sets designed for the bike you have they will fit up with no issues. They are specific for each brand. Lacing and Trueing up wheels is a job that takes some skills

• flyhotstuff

Posted October 14, 2013 - 02:54 PM

So I would have to look for rims that the hub has the same number of holes on. That is 32/36 holes? So I'll have to determine that by counting the holes on the hub? Sending the wheels off to be trued is unfortunately not much of an option for me because I live outside of the US. Expensive just to send it in. I may have access to one of those truing stands though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Not only the right number of holes, but also the correct drilling pattern in the rim.  The sequence and angle at which the holes point left/right/forward/back is important.

• flyhotstuff

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Alright, so gray what do you suggest I do then? I have the stock hubs of the yz450f. Just need to buy rim And spokes.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Check on the Super Moto forum and ask for sources.  Wheel builders/component suppliers like Buchanan's should be able to supply you with just what you need.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.