questions about sprokets on my 426

4 replies to this topic
  • bajascott

Posted October 13, 2013 - 07:34 PM

I just got my yz426 plated and was out tooling around,i want to give it better highway gearing.

it has 13/48 on it now, and just screams bloody murder over 45 mph. being somewhat new to bikes I don't know where to start.

do I get a bigger front and bigger rear?

it concerns me to rev this that high........ any help?

• MT400f

Posted October 13, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Add teeth to your front sprocket, or go smaller in the rear. The front sprocket will make a bigger difference in gear ratio per tooth than will the back. You can make coarse adjustments with the front sprocket and fine-tune with the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MT400f

Posted October 13, 2013 - 09:00 PM

http://www.protaper....ar-ratio-chart/

This chart can provide an understanding of how significant a change you will make.

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:35 AM

The stock YZ426 gearing is 14/49.  You are currently way below that.  Try a fifteen on the front.

• bajascott

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:31 AM

thanks, I put a 14 on the front and come to find out I am blind .....the rear has a 49

it did make a good difference but I think I am going to put a 15 up front.

I took it work the other day and was a lot more comfortable to ride,but still geared to low.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.