New '14 YZ450F owner here...Crossing over from Red! :)

7 replies to this topic
  • motoxjeff

Posted October 12, 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hey all,

Been a while since I owned a Yami, but I just got the '14 YZ450F.  It was a tough decision between the KTM and Yami this year.  Really looking forward to riding it, with the 58 ponies.  

I came off of a '13 CRF450 and I hated the pre-ride maintence of the air fork, not to mention blowing fork seals twice as fast.  Never felt comfortable on that bike, and I just never got a long with the engine (or lack there of should I say).

So far I have the following getting done:

Suspension revalve/ set-up-  (I'm 5'11/ 200LBS.  Vet/ Intermediate)
Carbon fork guards
Air cap bleeders
Works connection hour meter
Gas tank vent hose...So its not sticking out
Chain
Pro taper grips
Stainless steel oil filter 
Seat cover with bump (set up like villopoto, etc)
Number set (Number plates only)

**Thinking about getting the bike re-mapped with the GYTR like MXA says to do a long with getting a P.C. link to 143.5

I will post pictures when I pick up my bike from the shop!

• rk8950

Posted October 12, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Let us know how you like it, I have been thinking real hard about it also.

• motoscotty

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:10 AM

I came from a 12 Honda and these are the things you will notice, I have had mine since end of July and done a lot of testing.

It has way more power and very fast
It is very stable
It has no clutch issues
It is heavier by I think 10 lbs
It has great forks
It has a great shock when set up properly

My best settings for me were running sag at 112, it settles the bike and was much more controllable. Cornering became way better
Try that before you buy a link.
Raise your forks 5mm to lower the front end a bit.

You will love this bike but may feel a bit weird at first

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted October 12, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I hope it feels similar to the old bikes (10,11 and 12 Yamadog)  that I had.  I am recovering from a badly broken right wrist, so I am still holding off in buying a  new one, although I just started to ride again. 

The bikes have plenty of power, either old or new.  Issues with the shock seem to be the same as before.  I do have one bike set up with Ohlins TTX suspension, but shortening the shock 2mm is similar to the link.

I do believe the front wheel axles are larger in 2014. Maybe that is why it supposedly turns a little better.  Can't run my high dollar TTX Ohlins with the new bikes because of the front wheel and new shock reservoir. 

I got hurt right after the Southwick national (I'm an old geezer) right before my bike came in.  By two days!

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens, October 12, 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I cry a little every time I hear about someone revalving the suspension or remapping the fuel on a new Yamaha, especially when it's never been ridden. 

• BBrown626

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hey all,

Been a while since I owned a Yami, but I just got the '14 YZ450F.  It was a tough decision between the KTM and Yami this year.  Really looking forward to riding it, with the 58 ponies.  

I came off of a '13 CRF450 and I hated the pre-ride maintence of the air fork, not to mention blowing fork seals twice as fast.  Never felt comfortable on that bike, and I just never got a long with the engine (or lack there of should I say).

So far I have the following getting done:

Suspension revalve/ set-up-  (I'm 5'11/ 200LBS.  Vet/ Intermediate)
Carbon fork guards
Air cap bleeders
Works connection hour meter
Gas tank vent hose...So its not sticking out
Chain
Pro taper grips
Stainless steel oil filter 
Seat cover with bump (set up like villopoto, etc)
Number set (Number plates only)

**Thinking about getting the bike re-mapped with the GYTR like MXA says to do a long with getting a P.C. link to 143.5

I will post pictures when I pick up my bike from the shop!

I am 220# vet intermediate/expert and the suspension stock is pretty good so far. Too early to tell if it will need any changes. I put in about an hour of riding the main track and amateur track at Pala and it soaked up most stuff pretty good and settled into the corners well. You may get to your ideal setup with adjustments to the stock equipment. Consider calling Dave at SmartPerformance suspension to se what he can do for you once you figure out what your complaints are. His stuff works very well in the Yamaha and he supports the forum. I didn't even set the sag yet. I raised the forks about 5mm to the groove. It dives in a bit, but is still very stabile. I need to move them back a couple mm and then adjust sag. 

Do you know the computer has an hour meter built in? If you have the programmer you can read and reset the run time meter. 

I ordered a stainless oil filter and an air filter. I wanted a skid plate and guards for the fork lugs, but no luck. There are a few items available through the GYTR/accessories link on the Yamaha site. 

Where are you going to route your gas tank vent hose? If you don't route it out I wonder what effect that would have on the seat foam. I was pretty surprised that the hose was never in the way when riding. Never noticed it and I found it was very easy to get right up front on this bike. 

I think the best aftermarket part for the bike will be the front tire and gas! The Bridgestone works a little better than the MX51 on the SoCal tracks in my opinion. 

Enjoy our new bike. 

• BBrown626

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:20 PM

I came from a 12 Honda and these are the things you will notice, I have had mine since end of July and done a lot of testing.

It has way more power and very fast
It is very stable
It has no clutch issues
It is heavier by I think 10 lbs
It has great forks
It has a great shock when set up properly

My best settings for me were running sag at 112, it settles the bike and was much more controllable. Cornering became way better
Try that before you buy a link.
Raise your forks 5mm to lower the front end a bit.

You will love this bike but may feel a bit weird at first

Scotty, 

how much do you weigh and have you done anything else with the suspension settings? 

Thank you,

Brent

• motoscotty

Posted October 20, 2013 - 03:28 PM

200-205 usually,
Other than the shock spring everything is bone stock

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.