Buying a used 2009 Yz450f, What should i look for?

7 replies to this topic
  • Gir

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hello, i'm buying a 2009 yz450f tomorrow, for 3,000.  I currently have 3,400 so i'll have 400 bucks left over to put into the bike if any problem arises.  I'm looking for some technical / professional advice.

The guy said he is the second owner of the bike, never raced or abused, and looking at it, it is in pretty good shape.   When he brings it to me tomorrow what should i be on the look out for???    How can i tell if it's a ticking time bomb, he seems 100% sure that the bike is perfect on a count of i told him numerous times if he brings me the bike and it has any problems i won't want it, he assures me it's solid.

I already know to check the bearings, check the idle, throttle response, check for engine noises, check the suspension, check for any unusual wear marks, but what else should i look for? is 3 grand a good price? and what are the possibilities of problems if the bike "pulls of a fast one on me"   will 400 bucks be able to cover my expenses? I can do all of the work my self, involving carbs, valves, and basically anything top end. so i don't need any shop labors prices added in,   

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME    THANK YOU

• Suspenders

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I put the bike on its side as the bottom of the bike tells a lot.

Remove the air filter and check for a clean intake tract.

• Dallas320

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I would check all the bearing and make sure the swing arm is tight on the y-axis no free play from left to right

like the op said air filter,

look for big dents in the case, cracks on the frame, anything obvious that it might been in a crash.

Make sure forks/shock performs the full stroke and no leaks from fork oil

Look for a flat spot in one of the tires that might tell you if the rims are really worn or not.

Ask him when the last time he checked the valves and maybe check them to see if clearances are in check

Just basic things

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:29 AM

OP,
3000 is reasonable for a 2009 where im from. Hard to find a clean, low hour, solid stock motor bike much cheaper than that. Hopefully it works out for you. I love my 09. Choke, 2 twists, then one kick usually gets her going. You will have to let us know how it went for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigdong

Posted October 13, 2013 - 04:11 AM

If i were u i would skp the 09 and either go a different colour or maybe try a 10. Ive got an 09 and so does my mate and so far we havent seen any of the yama reliability ive heard of so much. They ride nice and everything but these two 09s have had pretty much the same problems happen around the same time. We have had so much problem i cant even remember everything thats gone wrong. I switched from suzuki and it never had half the problems these yams have had.

It seems to be that everytime something gets fixed then something else decides to fail.

I know alot of things like bearings will wear but ive never seen it as bad as these bikes. I know someone will comment on maintinannce but i never skip on anything. Maybe these have just been unlucky bikes.

• Gir

Posted October 17, 2013 - 01:58 PM

OP,
3000 is reasonable for a 2009 where im from. Hard to find a clean, low hour, solid stock motor bike much cheaper than that. Hopefully it works out for you. I love my 09. Choke, 2 twists, then one kick usually gets her going. You will have to let us know how it went for you.

that bike ended up being beaten on, i ended up getting a 2008 yz450f for 2850.  completely stock, in fantastic condition, it was owned by a mechanic and he claims the bike only has around 15 hours on it.  It has zero wear on the side cases, all graphics are 100% in tact, and the clutch and break levers still look and feel like they are still on the showroom.       

• Yamiryder

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:50 AM

that bike ended up being beaten on, i ended up getting a 2008 yz450f for 2850.  completely stock, in fantastic condition, it was owned by a mechanic and he claims the bike only has around 15 hours on it.  It has zero wear on the side cases, all graphics are 100% in tact, and the clutch and break levers still look and feel like they are still on the showroom.       

That's sweet. I love bone stock, low hour bikes for a good deal. You know exactly what you're getting. I know the bike will be great for you.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Sounds like a great deal. I love the stock motor too! Low hours! Congrats and enjoy!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.