06 yz450 transmision problem?

2 replies to this topic
  • rangerclass7sx

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:15 PM

i got a 06 yz450f in the garage, that is in pieces... i never saw it running i understand that it had transmission problems and it was repaired ... i can see the fresh silicon on the cases. soo i took the top end off since it doesnt have timing chaing and isnt bolted down to inspect it... looks fine , crank and rod look fine... soo im running it trought the gears by hand seems ok.. but no neutral !! i cant get it in neutral i have tried 100 times and nothing. down to first even turn the motor a little bit while shifting up, nothing straight to second...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Remove the clutch and have a look at the index wheel and arm.  For one thing, the '06 had a problem with some of the index lever rollers (Yamaha calls it a "stopper lever").  They used a ball bearing instead of a simple roller, and some of the bearings would fall apart: 

http://www.thumperta...r/#entry4050685

There can be other problems such as damaged pawl springs, etc., so look the mechanism over.

• rangerclass7sx

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Remove the clutch and have a look at the index wheel and arm.  For one thing, the '06 had a problem with some of the index lever rollers (Yamaha calls it a "stopper lever").  They used a ball bearing instead of a simple roller, and some of the bearings would fall apart: 

http://www.thumperta...r/#entry4050685

There can be other problems such as damaged pawl springs, etc., so look the mechanism over.

thanks for your wizdom and time grayracer !, after taking the time to open up the motor, and noticing this and many other problems im gonna pass on buying it. its also missing many parts and bolts... just gonna be a big headache

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.