Horror story!

10 replies to this topic
  • MrSvt

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hypothetical question here: let's say someone rode a YZ450 and literally ran it with no oil for about 30 seconds. BEST AND WORST CASE SCENARIO PLEASE:/

• choppertown

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:38 AM

30 seconds isnt to bad. It could do damage. but its on your side the it didnt do damage.

iv seen a diesel get started up for about 5 minits after a re-build with no oil. till someone noticed that it had no oil pressure.

• MrSvt

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:07 AM

Idk I'm sure it took some life off of it but whatever. Getting a new oil plug and fill her up and see what happens I guess lol

• CamP

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:52 AM

The residual oil in the engine is enough to handle 30 seconds of run time. Don't sweat it.

• EagleFreek

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think you'd be fine. I was at a car show a few years back where they took and old junk car, removed the oil and coolant  and had a contest on who could guess how long it would run. I can't remember what brand it was, but it was an 80's full size with a V8. It ran for over 10 minutes wide open, if I recall before it kicked the bucket. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JRS7192

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Your totally fine. I was riding with a guy at a private track, and after a 2 lap moto, he realised he had no oil. He has just rebuilt the motor, but didn't seem to be concerned. Youd be surprised how long these engines can go without oil, if its not under a heavy load.

• OkieTwister

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:06 AM

10296d1375351789-sugarcrm-7-0-its-dead-j

• 563ripper

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:20 AM

like others have said the leftover oil in the engine was enough to cause no harm for 30 seconds.  

• William1

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Best case: Engine is fine

Worst Case: Engine is trashed

The smart person removes the cams and checks the head journals as they are the first to go

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:53 AM

The question no one has bothered to address is what the situation was under which it ran without oil.  Draining and forgetting to refill for 30 seconds is considerably different than dropping a drain plug at the bottom of Yamaha Hill at Glen Helen. 

What's the story?

• MrSvt

Posted October 12, 2013 - 05:06 AM

It was dropped. I saw it pissing out and told her to shut it down. This is the last time my gf does maitience

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.