Suspension Questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Frank_B

Posted December 20, 2001 - 06:10 AM

I recently had my suspension done by a SoCal suspension shop via an MX shop.

I'm 190-195lbs, fast novice... maybe intermediate on good days. I ride mx only... tracks with decent size jumps, whoops, etc. What are the chances that I didn't need springs in the front or rear? I got the suspension back, but with the same springs. Is it realistic to think that the stock springs with incredibly good valving are sufficient for my weight and riding level?

I'm concerned that there was a communication breakdown somewhere or they were just being sloppy.

I appreciate any input.

• Tom_Higdon

Posted December 20, 2001 - 07:04 AM

Frank: You could have been describing me, and I use the stock springs with no problem on my 01. If I remember correctly, when you set your rear race sag you should have between 15-30mm of free sag if your spring rate is correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted December 20, 2001 - 09:02 AM

Frank,

There are some earlier post regarding this subject. You may want to check them out since we like to debate this issue as well.

My opinion - the factory springs are too soft for nearly any one over 160 that ride the big tracks.

It's also my opinion that not all after market springs are created equal. In most cases, you get what you pay for.

And you may want to read up on the White Brothers piece about spring and sag. Good starting info for all. See link.

DaveJ

http://www.whitebrot.../SUSPENSion.PDF

• h_bomb

Posted December 20, 2001 - 03:48 PM

I weigh 190 just today I took my sus to Race Tech the spring rate is perfect 4.6f 5.4r Im getting the gold valves.Turns out the tech that helped me used to do my sus 10 years ago so Im getting employee discount.I race Intermediate :)

• Frank_B

Posted December 20, 2001 - 06:32 PM

Nevermind. I rode it and the suspension is plush! (Save it.... I know it was dumb to jump to conclusions before I rode it.)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.