Lexx Mid pipe separating from header pipe

8 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted October 07, 2013 - 06:26 PM

My Lexx Pipe on my 2007 WR450 is separating from the header pipe. I can feel exhaust coming out.

The shim or whatever you call it is separating. I tried pulling it off but couldn't get it off the header pipe.So I tried to clamp it, but notice it's getting worse. I think I need a pipe wrench. It's stuck on there. When I installed it I used high temp gasket silicone as it stated. Has anybody else had this issue and what's been your solution.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381199078.758670.jpg

The little dings is me being stupid in trying to hammer it back.

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381199047.278962.jpg

• GASKICKER

Posted October 08, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I had a similar problem, I tried a few different things and the only thing that worked was taking the muffler and mid pipe off and reinstalling again with the sleeve properly seated.
My sleeve actually came out all the way on a trail ride, wouldn't have been too uncomfortable if it hadn't been 80+ degrees out.

Edited by GASKICKER, October 08, 2013 - 10:22 AM.

• bikedude987

Posted October 08, 2013 - 12:58 PM

There shouldn't be a ~1/4" gap in the sleeve first off.  you can tell there is a huge exhaust leak there from the black plume on the header.  On my 05 (no adapter ring, just slips over)  I seem to have fixed the problem more or less by slitting the mid pipe about an inch back (don't go past the header when installed!) and using a SS hose clamp like I see you have, along with the silicone.  i found that just the silicone, even though it was only filling about a .005" gap, would get burnt up and blown out in no time.  We'll see how my current design holds up as i haven't had it apart yet, but it seems promising.

• RMK800

Posted October 08, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I did find this option. In the picture he used a KLR clamp of a Kawi. Would that be better then a band clamp. The band clamp doesn't seem strong enough. Did you also cut slits on the pipe?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381273778.780415.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GASKICKER

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't have a clamp on mine, but if it comes loose again, I will get that klr clamp or something similar.

• bikedude987

Posted October 09, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, I cut slits just like that.  but like I said, mine doesn't use an adapter, so i had less to compress... maybe getting something like an automotive exhaust band that seals both pipes would be an option?

http://www.summitrac...CFUeCQgodeCoAgg

• revyrider

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Looks to me like you used the wrong adaptor when you installed the Lexx. On my '07 the gap is no where near that big, did you have to pound the adaptor on the header? Your Lexx should have come with 3 adaptor options to mate the header with the mid pipe, try another one. 

• RMK800

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Yes, it came with the three adapters.. I thought I went through them to find the best fit. When I attached the mid pipe to the header, I did not pound it on. It seemed like a nice snug fit. I took off the entire pipe, header and mid pipe. I cannot get them to seperate. Using a vice, I feel like I'm going to bend something, then I'll have to buy a new mid pipe and header. I think what I'm going to do is buy some high temp glue weld like JB, or some of those puttys to plug that hole then I'll put a band right up against it, so it might keep it from blowing out.

• RMK800

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just went to the garage and looked at the other two shims. The other two are thinner. The one I have in there is the thickest of the three and it went in the header with silicone just using my hands. I guess yours is holding better so the shim isn't spreading.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.