What bars for 2012yz450

11 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I feel some different bars might make help me out I'm only 5'10. New too racing. I feel my bars limit me as too how far forward I can get. The feel a bend that is a little taller and farther forward would be perfect. Is this a fair assumption on my part. A certain some one on thumper talk recomendend the windam bend. But I'm not sure i explained what I was looking for in a replacement

• Mtrain730

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I should have added that I'm not experienced at any of this but one thing I realize is the farther forward I get especially in the corners the better the bike handles and I feel the stock bars are a touch low and push me too far back on the seat and when I do slide forward I feel realy cramped. Any advice is appreciated.

• BGoyins

Posted October 07, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have the 2011, not sure if bars are same. Also 5'10. Rode last season with bars rotated forward +.5 on the bar markings. This year I moved them to the forward triple clamp holes in most aft position. Rotated bars about +.2. I'm very happy with this as it moves me forward and is more natural when standing up and jumping. The short is... you've got a lot of adjustment capability with the existing bars. Experiment.

• 2-stroker96

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:05 PM

honestly the stock bars were the first thing to go on my 2012 i hated how low they were, i bought a set of renthal twinwalls 996 bend, which is the same bend i had on my last bike and i love it, it definitely made me more comfortable riding the bike 

• zeuszuki

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:21 PM

I should have added that I'm not experienced at any of this but one thing I realize is the farther forward I get especially in the corners the better the bike handles and I feel the stock bars are a touch low and push me too far back on the seat and when I do slide forward I feel realy cramped. Any advice is appreciated.

A slightly higher bar is the way to go . Front triple clamp holes and mounts set to align the bars with the center line of the forks when looking straight down at them. Corners - berms , get over the front ; ruts , sit in the middle of the seat , inside leg out , look ahead and throttle on.
Don't believe me ? Try it and thank me later ;-)
And try the "woods" map , takes out a lot of the bark and helps keep you in the ruts.

• Mtrain730

Posted October 08, 2013 - 05:22 AM

I did like how it felt rotating the bars forward but I have Ben told not too do tthat for a couple reasons I already have the bars in the front hole. How do the 996 compare too the windams or the stockers I know nothing about the different bars or what type of bends the name represents. I just know the stock ones seem too limit how far forward I can go comfortably

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted October 08, 2013 - 05:25 AM

But I may be going at it the wrong way maybe higher bars would solve my problem. I even feel cramped on the pegs when I slide forward I assume because the bars are so low.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:40 AM

IMO, the OEM bars are way too low and rear set unless you're about 5'7".  I might be the "someone" mentioned earlier.  I have tried the YZ High bend, and the Henry/Reed bend, and they both left me feeling cramped up against the bars in corners and I found myself hanging back on them while standing.  The Windham bend fixed that, even set at the "0" mark.  They move the grip position both up and forward compared with the other bars mentioned, and they open things up very nicely.  They do seem a little bit high for me when I'm in the saddle, but the control with them is excellent, and when I stand, I can stand up almost straight with the bars about 8" in front of me.  Lets me motor along on the pegs for miles without tiring of it. 

The '09 and later ('08?) has two sets of holes, though, so they have 4 optional locations for the bars by choosing mount points and reversing the mounts.  The forward positions naturally raise the bars, too, so the Windhams may not be needed to accomplish a good fit.

The thing is that bars are like shoes.  You're the one they have to fit, not me.

• rdefonce

Posted October 08, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I did like how it felt rotating the bars forward but I have Ben told not too do tthat for a couple reasons I already have the bars in the front hole. I

I'm using Fast Co Flexx bars, they are better than stock but I'm still on stock (aft) holes in triple clamp . . . what are advantages of mounting on front holes?

• FinchFan194

Posted October 08, 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have the 10 degree Flexx bars and love them.

• 2-stroker96

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:41 PM

if im not mistaken i think the windhams are even higher then the 996 bend, the 996 bend is the stock honda bend, it just feels very neutral to me, and i still have my mounts in the very front holes, the 996 bend makes me feel more like im sitting in the cockpit of the bike rather then on top of the bike if that makes any sense at all

• joaquin1296

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:10 PM

Here the sizes for.
Zeta sx3
Renthal Twinwall
Renthal Fatbar
Pro Taper EVO
Pro Taper Contour

I have the stewart/villopoto twinwall. Better than stock IMO

Attached Thumbnails

• 1381388835849.jpg
  • 1381388873967.jpg
  • 1381388887061.jpg
  • 1381388901410.jpg
  • 1381388920697.jpg

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.