Yz450f kickstater

4 replies to this topic
  • Iceracer07

Posted October 05, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Get guys I have a 2003 yz450f that I flat track an ice race the other day I went to kick start it an the kick starter was stuck down so I pulled the kick starter assembly an found that the shaft an the rachet gear were both busted. Anyone else see this???

• LovingOffroadPain

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:48 PM

I haven't seen this, wut I do is every 15 hrs of riding I take the kickstarter off the spline and apply grease to the external pinion gear.. then install kickstarter with locktite.

Stick to this regiment you shouldn't have issues like this in the future

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:30 PM

The '03 had a problem with that as a matter of fact. It was addressed shortly after the start of the '04 model year. A new kick starter assembly from Yamaha will be the newer stronger unit.

• Iceracer07

Posted October 06, 2013 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for info! This is my first yamaha for ice racing. An when I went to look at it I could barely kick it over, Iam not a little guy either are these bikes always a pain to kick over? It likes alittle throttle to fire but if it doesant start the kick starter really bites you!! Lol. Has a ton if mods cld that be the reason. Fuel is a 110 renagade

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:09 AM

As far as starting goes, my '03 always liked just a tiny bit of throttle when it was cold, but you are in a much colder environment.  You should consider bumping the starter jet to a larger size, even if you've already gone to a larger pilot.  I believe the stock starter is around a #70; I'd try an 80.

The other thing that may not be helping is the fuel.  You have no need whatever of that much octane unless you're running more than 13.5:1 compression.  Race fuels will usually give you a little power gain even if you don't really need the octane to avoid detonation, but depending on how the fuel was blended to boost the octane, some HO fuels can make the bike hard to start in really cold weather.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.