Update on Govt. Shutdown - Confusion, Closures, and Tickets?

7 replies to this topic
  • cuttenkid

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hey riders,

The ongoing shutdown is crazy.  I have an update with pics and articles on the shutdown. 

HQ blog update

http://thegeneralsre...ransigence.html

Bottom line: It's a crap shoot out there....some places open...some not.  Govt. info centers closed.

Feel free to share your feedback on what you are seeing out there.

Thanks,

Don

• JcudaRig

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Tried to ride cedar creek (muskegon) and M20(white cloud) trails over weekend.  Gates locked and posted as closed.  Question: are the trails themselves closed or just the parking / staging areas?  The way the notices on the gates read it seems the forest land (trails) itself is closed as well.  Cannot find any info about those same forest lands being closed to public hunting as well - that is why I bring it up.  How can forest lands be closed to one sport / activity but not another?

• cuttenkid

Posted October 07, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Generally speaking (remember there is little info out there and enforcement varies from unit to unit)... if access to the Forest or BLM is gated/locked/closed... you cannot access the trails at that spot.  However, if you can find an access point that is not gated/closed to a Forest or BLM area.. then you can ride the trails.  But remember during the shutdown that it is rider beware.

D

• Hesitate

Posted October 07, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Im actually a federal employee working through the shutdown, the information I was given is that all BLM land is open like it normally would be unless its an area that you would normally pay to use (fee areas like glamis or dumont). Those areas are closed. The Forests are open but any road owned by the forest service that has a gate is closed and cannot be used. Hope that clears it up some we dont get much info either. Also Ill say that your likelihood of getting caught in an area you shouldnt be in is higher right now than normal, the people still working are only here to patrol and keep people out. 

Edited by Hesitate, October 07, 2013 - 02:49 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cuttenkid

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hesitate,  thanks for the feedback.  However, just to prove that things are crazy... the BLM OHV area at Samoa Dunes (a free area) is gated shut and from what I hear ... Glamis is more or less open and that area is a fee area.  Also, Sand Mountain in NV which is a fee area is officially closed but the BLM is letting folks ride there anyway.  Confusion is King during the shutdown.

• Dave Wood

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Im actually a federal employee working through the shutdown, the information I was given is that all BLM land is open like it normally would be unless its an area that you would normally pay to use (fee areas like glamis or dumont). Those areas are closed. The Forests are open but any road owned by the forest service that has a gate is closed and cannot be used. Hope that clears it up some we dont get much info either. Also Ill say that your likelihood of getting caught in an area you shouldnt be in is higher right now than normal, the people still working are only here to patrol and keep people out. 

What Forest order, law or regulation is being cited for enforcement?

Posting a sign that says area is closed by the Federal shutdown is not legal.

The shutdown tells some federal employees to go home.  No legal publicly noticed closure occurred.

I suggest this is Tyranny by our executive branch.  I suggest that the Executive branch manages public lands and the administration is acting like a King or Dictator attempting to punish the people.

This is no longer a nation of laws when law enforcement acts without legal authority.

This is not the first time the government has shut down.  When it happened in the past, government employees, just go home.

• Dune bum

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Here where I live in coos bay the sand dunes are open, but parking lots are closed. If we can get in without using there parking lots we can ride.

• duncsmoke1

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:08 AM

NO GATES IN THE DESERT!!!! WENT TO OUTLET CENTER ON SATURDAY AND JOHNSON VALLEY ON SUNDAY EVERYTHING ALL GOOD OUT THERE, RODE ALL DAY BOTH DAYS NEVERT HAD AN ISSUE.. BUDDY OF MINE WENT TO GORMAN AND IT WAS SHUT DOWN BUT WE KNOW A SPOT WHERE YOU CAN GET IN, SAID HE RODE THERE ALL WEEKEND NEVER SAW ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AND THERE WAS A TON OF PEOPLE.. JUST DEPENDS WHERE YOU ARE  I GUESS..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.