GYTR MX Flywheel. pros/ cons ,advice ?

35 replies to this topic
  • ekulb14

Posted November 21, 2013 - 07:32 PM

yeh i went with the 9 as well and it feels great.

• vic2340

Posted November 22, 2013 - 11:28 PM

To be honest i put one in my 09 yz450f thats all woodsed out and i didnt notice a difference to be able to say that the bike is anybetter for the woods. It still stalls easy as hell even with a 52 rear sprocket. I have been getting so frustrated with the stalling and weight issue that i am contemplating on selling it. Unless you get a WR 1st granny gear and WR 5th highway gear installed these bike are pretty much trash for the woods. I had a yz250(was a dream in the woods) anyways my next bike will most likely be a KTM 300exc or xc-w 

• rhinoracin

Posted November 26, 2013 - 03:58 PM

^^^ I rode my 09 (stock gearing) on some tight sandy single track all weekend and I was actually blown away with how well it worked, it was so fun I almost forgot I was running out of gas. Didnt stall once because I was keeping a good pace. That was without the GYTR flywheel I just bought today...cant wait to try it out. I want to make sure it is the 9.21 oz model. I weighed it, 23.06 oz. I dont know what the stock one weighs, but I have the correct flywheel right?

• Bturner

Posted November 27, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Agreed. I've got a 9oz FWW on my 09 450 & it rides amazing in the woods. Smoothest & easiest 450 I've owned & ridden. Best woods bike to. This motor with a few mods is a great woods bike, even in the tight, rough stuff.

• vic2340

Posted November 29, 2013 - 06:28 AM

Im glad you people like this bike for the woods. I may have sounded pessimistic in my other reply but im still riding this bike in the woods for fun. Its just when its raining and your on a slimy hillclimb that is entirely made of rocks and there is a log across the trail and your doing good and you hit the log and then your bike goes kuuuhhh and stalls on this gnarly hillclimb your going to really wish you had a yz250 two stroke or something like a 300exc or 200exc/ xc-w that doesnt stall.

• Tommykins

Posted April 02, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Because the '10 and later EFI bikes have a much larger diameter stator/rotor, the addition of a smaller amount of weight makes a bigger difference in the inertia mass of the flywheel.  4 ounces on the late ones does more than 9 on the older models.

Grey, I would appreciate your opinion for an '11 YZ450, is the 9oz still the way to go or too much?

Slow woods rider, just having fun out there.

• Tommykins

Posted April 02, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Sorry guys...

All experience/opinions are welcome.

• rdefonce

Posted April 02, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Grey, I would appreciate your opinion for an '11 YZ450, is the 9oz still the way to go or too much?

Slow woods rider, just having fun out there.

I didn't know you could get that heavy of a FWW on the newer FI engines.

My FWW on '10 is a 4.3oz (or 4.4, forgot exact weight), which makes even a bigger diff than 9oz on '09 and older engines (because the weight is farther out from the crank center line)

Just go with the 4.4, it works great on FI Yamaha's!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2014 - 12:47 PM

I didn't know you could get that heavy of a FWW on the newer FI engines.

You can't (not from GYT-R) and you don't need to.  See post number 15.

• Tommykins

Posted April 02, 2014 - 01:27 PM

The only two offerings from Steahly for '10-'13 are 7 & 9oz.

• seacraft69

Posted April 02, 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hinson makes a heavier clutch basket too if you feel the off road fly wheel isn't enough

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Heavy clutch baskets as a means of achieving increased rotating mass are a waste of money.  Yes, they are bigger, so the extra weight has a greater effect, BUT, inertia has a linear relationship to increased mass, and an exponential relationship to speed.  The clutch basket rotates at 2.65 times slower than the crank, so the added weight will not return the same additional inertia mass it would at a higher speed.  Additionally, each 2.65 foot pounds of inertia generated torque it tried to feed to the crank will be reduced to 1 ft/lb by driving the crank back through that gear set.  

• 1stSSPZ

Posted April 02, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Just put the GYTR 4.4 oz on my 13 450f. Best mod I have done! On an mx track it took just enough of the burst out of the initial throttle but still lets it roll on hard. Plus, no more flame outs during hard braking!

• seacraft69

Posted April 03, 2014 - 03:36 AM

Grey you are a smart man.

• rdefonce

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:13 AM

You can't (not from GYT-R) and you don't need to.  See post number 15.

I didn't think I needed to either (which I further stated in my post) and since the 4.4 is working so well on my '10!

1stSSPZ's post matches my experience with the GYT-R fww . . . it's a Win-Win.;-)

• Gunner354

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:19 AM

At yours and most riders skill levels there are no cons to a heavier flywheel.

Just like the stock 09 with choked up exhaust is to smooth for most, the heavy flywheel in my opinion does the same. I have the 03 CDI DR D exhaust and stock flywheel weight and love the snap when desired. I liked the 06 cdi but the 03 does give more snap. Adding a flywheel weight would b counter productive for my liking.

Edited by Gunner354, April 03, 2014 - 09:21 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.