Bikes Too Tall

14 replies to this topic
  • DRZ04

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I know there has been discussion of lowering the bike for us with our butts built too close to the ground, 29" - 30" inseam. The options I have seen are sending the suspension off for spacer to shorten, cut the seat down [minimally effective], shorten the sub frame, add a longer link & move the forks up in the triple clamps. I was leaning towards the longer link but the only one I have found is the ML2 & I didn't see if it is longer or not. Has anyone tried the link and is it longer? What works in order of costs?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:35 PM

It's too tall, because you can't touch the ground with your feet flat, or tip toes?

I'm 6'4" and I can't touch my feet flat either....just barely on tip toes...because I have a seat that is 2.5" taller than stock.

So, you height/inseam is not the issue, it's your riding style. 

You should only modify the seat, if even that.

You are much better of practicing riding standing up, and better balance.

Really, you should avoid modifying the suspension travels at all costs.

It is not a good decision, unless you ride very slow, and never stand up or get the wheels of the ground.

• Navaho6

Posted October 03, 2013 - 04:02 AM

Send your seat off to get trimmed down or see if someone makes a slimmer one.  Makes a huge difference.  Then have the suspension shortened, professionally.  I hate tall bikes and that is why I still have my '06.  The new WR's are too tall for kind of tight, technical riding I do.

• DRZ04

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:48 AM

It's too tall, because you can't touch the ground with your feet flat, or tip toes?

I'm 6'4" and I can't touch my feet flat either....just barely on tip toes...because I have a seat that is 2.5" taller than stock.

So, you height/inseam is not the issue, it's your riding style. 

You should only modify the seat, if even that.

You are much better of practicing riding standing up, and better balance.

Really, you should avoid modifying the suspension travels at all costs.

It is not a good decision, unless you ride very slow, and never stand up or get the wheels of the ground.

Krannie I can only get my tip toes touching. My issue is more like if you have to dab a foot on the trail to keep from falling by the time my foot touches it is too late and I am going over. I am fine once I get moving and the height of the bike is not an issue.

• stevethe

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:49 AM

I am the same inseam. SDG does a good job of taking an inch out of the front part of the seat. It ends up with an inch hump towards the rear that can keep you in a good position while riding.

• thirdcoaster

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:21 AM

I am the same inseam. SDG does a good job of taking an inch out of the front part of the seat. It ends up with an inch hump towards the rear that can keep you in a good position while riding.

+1 on this.  Make sure that whoever cuts your seat foam down narrows the cut-down area too.  I did my own with an electric knife, belt sander, and a heavy-duty stapler.

• DRZ04

Posted October 03, 2013 - 01:26 PM

+1 on this.  Make sure that whoever cuts your seat foam down narrows the cut-down area too.  I did my own with an electric knife, belt sander, and a heavy-duty stapler.

Thanks for the info. I cut down a SDG seat myself on my DRZ400S and other than being hard it worked much better. Di I understand that they offer a seat already with an inch out of it? I will check them out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motomike1

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:36 PM

+1 on cutting out seat foam, i made mine into a step seat using a serrated knife, and various grades of sandpaper.  I wouldn't touch the suspension. The suspension link (I had a Kouba link on my old DRZ) made the bike complete shit, wouldn't handle, couldn;'t take jumps, couldn't ride aggressively at all. The lowered seat has really helped me a lot.

cutseat_zps41696b9b.jpg

Edited by Motomike1, October 04, 2013 - 05:46 PM.

• stevethe

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:45 PM

2013-10-04165953_zpsefc47f15.jpg

SDG seat

• RMK800

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Is the SDG step seat as low as their low seat?

• stevethe

Posted October 07, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Is the SDG step seat as low as their low seat?

Good question but I don't know.

I just styled both my supermoto and dirt bike seats after the seats with a hump. However instead of the norm of adding an inch to get the hump they removed an inch in the front.

Call them and ask so you can let everybody else know.

• DRZ04

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I called SDG today to see if they made a seat for the 2012/2013 WR450F. The answer is NO. They did not list it on their web site but I thought I would ask anyway. He says that Yamaha has just made too many variations over the years with the WR450 that require the seat base be changed. He explained that they like roughly 3 years of no change before they feel they can recoup their development costs. What he did say was that they can build me one from my OEM seat base. He says it should be around a 3 day turnaround. The cost is about what you would pay for the after market from them. They will make it basically to order for you. I don't really like to sacrifice my OEM but I have to get my A55 closer to the ground so I can touch toes on both feet at the same time. I think I am going to send mine to them and have them do it for me. I will report back after I get it back.

• stevethe

Posted October 08, 2013 - 05:14 AM

I called SDG today to see if they made a seat for the 2012/2013 WR450F. The answer is NO. They did not list it on their web site but I thought I would ask anyway. He says that Yamaha has just made too many variations over the years with the WR450 that require the seat base be changed. He explained that they like roughly 3 years of no change before they feel they can recoup their development costs. What he did say was that they can build me one from my OEM seat base. He says it should be around a 3 day turnaround. The cost is about what you would pay for the after market from them. They will make it basically to order for you. I don't really like to sacrifice my OEM but I have to get my A55 closer to the ground so I can touch toes on both feet at the same time. I think I am going to send mine to them and have them do it for me. I will report back after I get it back.

They don't make a seat for the 07-11 either. You have to send in your stock one.

• stevethe

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:28 AM

One issue with cutting them down is it does't get any softer. Anyone tried drilling holes in the bottom to see if it gets the seat any softer.

• Corkster

Posted October 09, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Depending on your type of riding, there is nothing wrong with lowering your suspension.  Ricky Carmichael won multiple championships with lowered suspension.  If you are racing supercross or high speed desert, you need all the travel you can get so avoid lowering.  Otherwise the benefits of lowering comfortably outweigh the costs.  You will lose some travel which then means you need to compensate with slightly stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out.  Don't use a lowering link as this can cause a range of issues including bottoming out the wheel on the fender.  Get the bike lowered by a suspension professional who will shorten both ends.  50mm makes a huge difference to rideability in the woods and is almost indiscernable in terms of suspension travel.  Those who say stand up are correct but even the very best professional enduro riders sit and paddle at times.  Being able to paddle and dab with confidence will improve your enjoyment of the bike immensely.  Also you will get up the impossible hills and your mates will all want to borrow your bike!

Try the lowered seat first.  If it helps - great.  If you still feel too high, don't hesitate to lower the bike.  I have lowered my last three and it has made them completely different bikes - so much more enjoyable to ride with full confidence in all situations.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.