Gytr power tuner worth it for 2012 yz450.

13 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted October 01, 2013 - 03:00 PM

I was just curious how people feel about the power tuner I race c class and also ride tight trails I already have a 9 ounce fly wheel weight and it was worth every penny as far as the woods riding goes I also have a 50 tooth rear sprocket aside from this bike is stock. Those two mods mad the bike a much better woods bike but wondering if the power tuner might make it that much better in the tight stuff. It's manageable now but obviously still a handful when its technical and requires a lot of clutch abuse. I'm not looking for a miracle I realize its a 450 mx bike just wondering if it might take the beast down a little more for tight stuff. Thoughts and options appreciated. Thanks

• JLB943

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Honestly, if you can find one to borrow, I would. I have one, used it when I first got it, found a map I like and haven't touched it since. But it is also may be useful to troubleshoot, monitor hours on motor and adjust idle speed.

Two things I have generally heard to tame it down:

Rekluse EXP 2.0 Clutch

Injectioneering Throttle body mod for Offroad

The Rekluse will tame it down and is really nice for the 450, but I have one and I am kind leary of recommending one because there is a small issue with stalling that no one seems to have a good answer on for the newer yz450.

Cannot speak for Injectioneering Mod.

Just my two cents, I am sure there are others on here who may have the tuner in a holster on their hip...

• Mtrain730

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking decent chunk of change( for me anyway). And it sounds cool but the money might be better spent on some thing else. I actually like how the power is and find it pretty manageable just thought I might find a map that softens the initial power a little more. I have also heard I might not even get the results from the tuner to solve that issue.

• SparksXR426

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I did the Injectioneering mod to my 12 last year and it eliminated the stalling issue. I wouldn't say it softened the power at all, just made it easier to dial right off idle, starts easier too. If you want to change the character of the power you need the tuner. If had to choose I would do the mod over the tuner but that's me. Interesting to see if anybody's done the TB mod on a bike with the Rekluse tho.

• Mtrain730

Posted October 02, 2013 - 04:46 AM

Ok thanks yea I'm actually pretty happy with it in the woods for a mx bike. It's only the realy tight technical real low speed stuff with roots and rocks and some water. But I'm probly being a little selfish expecting it too be smooth as butter on a trail and then aggressive on the track. I actually think its pretty decent at both right now. Thanks. Ill probly just hold off on the tuner. On the forums I hear people say the tuner transforms the bikes power And makes it into a different bike and I often wonder if that's just a touch exaggerated. I only like too spend money on mods if they make a big deference like the fly wheel weight because just keepin these bikes maintained is expensive enough.

• zeuszuki

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ok thanks yea I'm actually pretty happy with it in the woods for a mx bike. It's only the realy tight technical real low speed stuff with roots and rocks and some water. But I'm probly being a little selfish expecting it too be smooth as butter on a trail and then aggressive on the track. I actually think its pretty decent at both right now. Thanks. Ill probly just hold off on the tuner. On the forums I hear people say the tuner transforms the bikes power And makes it into a different bike and I often wonder if that's just a touch exaggerated. I only like too spend money on mods if they make a big deference like the fly wheel weight because just keepin these bikes maintained is expensive enough.

It is not an exaggeration, the tuner really can transform the motors characteristics .

• swaldrop

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:39 PM

I use my tuner to check hours only. Haven't changed a map since I got it. I played around with a bunch of different maps only to find myself back on the stock setting. What mellowed out the power for me was throwing on a Yoshi slip on exhaust. It smoothed out the bottom end hit and stretched out the power on top. The motor with that pipe is perfect for the track, can't say what it would do in the woods as I haven't had it in the woods. 

If I were to do it over again, I would save my money and just buy the pipe. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ratom98

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:43 PM

i have only had my 2011 for a couple months but the tuner was the first thing i bought, it can completely change the power characteristics. i put the woods map in it before my first trail ride with my old riding buddies, we did a lot of single track and hill climbs. it had noticible less power when climbing hills but it had a lot more bottom end in the single track, i still had to use the clutch when slowing down almost to a stop but other than that it didn't want to stall at all. i was surprised at how usable first gear was too. it's expensive but well worth it imo. i'll prob just switch between the smooth map for tracks and the woods map for trails but its nice having the option to try other maps as well.

• M.adameck

Posted June 12, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Any one in the Santa Barbara area be willing to let me upload a map through their power tuner?? Will bring bike to you

• the go-devil

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I have a 12 with a full WR transmission, flywheel, throttle tamer, and 13/52 sprockets. I ride some nasty ass rocky rooted rutted goat trails, and I have found the tuner has little impact on improving power delivery for those conditions. I've been trying different maps for 2 years and I keep going back to stock.

• M.adameck

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I have the same wr450f 2012 and have the comp ecu and two brothers pipe... Before I bought the two brothers pipe I had the ecu and Gytr performance stock exhaust tip. When I ran it like that it never backfired on decel but now with new pipe it does and am concerned that it's running to lean

• the go-devil

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:32 PM

For clarification I have a YZ, not the WR. Isn't there some setting in the WR ecu that can only be changed with the diagnostics tool that dealers have that will fix that lean condition? Thought I saw something about that in the WR450 forum.

Edited by the go-devil, June 14, 2014 - 06:59 AM.

• Calhoun117

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:22 AM

If your looking to get rid of the harshness of the YZ for trail riding check out the G2 throttle tamer throttle tube, it smooths out the first half of your throttle opening and does wonders for trail riding!! Best 60$ I've spent on mine

• M.adameck

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Yea you need Gytr power tuner but none of the local shops have one for their personal use they just want to sell them for 230$$

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.