2012 wr450 fork oil capacity?

7 replies to this topic
  • SoCalDirtRider67

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Can anyone tell me what the fork oil capacity is for a 2012 wr450? Seals are blown and I need to replace them and want to put new oil in as well. How about types of oil. Which is best?

• JDLowrance

Posted September 30, 2013 - 08:20 PM

5wt.

Volume is in the manual that came with your bike. It's in mine to which is in the garage....I believe it's 335ml. Someone will be along shortly to confirm or correct that figure. Will dig it up tomorrow if not on here by then.

One liter will definitely be enough when you buy your parts.

• SoCalDirtRider67

Posted September 30, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Cool. Thanks. I bought my bike used and the guy didn't have the manual so that's why i'm asking. I appreciate your help. Thanks

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Total = 18.62 oz

Book says "recommended oil suspension oil s1 standard oil amount 7.03oz" which looks like the inter cartridge

Oil level 145-148mm from top of fully stretched damper assembly

Then what looks like the outer cartridge 11.09 oz
"Extent of adjustment 9.97 to 12.51 oz"

For type it just says s1 oil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ride-n-Hard

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Frigg'n 10 pages of fork stuff. Good luck

Edited by Ride-n-Hard, September 30, 2013 - 09:15 PM.

• SoCalDirtRider67

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info. Wish I had the manual.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Regarding the fork, it's the same as the twin chamber fork used since '06 on YZ450's (apart from valving and such.  The inner cartridge is simply filled to capacity and bled free of air.  Works best if it's slightly overfilled prior to bleeding, which is very simple. 

The outer chamber is used only for lubricating the main tubes and to control bottoming through the use of hydraulic "oil locks", essentially just a tapering, decreasing amount of room for the oil to flow past the descending inner tube as it nears the bottom.  But it can also be used to affect the overall feel of the fork as well.  The captive air within the fork becomes a de facto air spring, and adding oil will make the ride stiffer and harsher, while lowering the level makes it softer/plusher.  The base oil level for YZ's was 350cc per side for a long time.  Adding 20cc or subtracting 30cc from this makes a fairly big difference.  Start with 340 and see what you think.  Change the level no more than 10cc at a time.

• WR 911

Posted October 05, 2013 - 12:33 PM

5wt

200 cc for inner

350 for outer  +/- for feel

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.