drain plug

5 replies to this topic
  • mxstate

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Before someone gives me a lecture : I did use the search but did not see what I was looking for

I have a 2011 and would like to put some magnetic oil drain plug. Should both plugs be replaced or would one be able to do the job?

I looked at possible choices and it seems only sources are GYTR and Zip Ty

Can someone confirm?

• NBmotocross3

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Only 1. On the second drain plug there is a metal mesh filter inside and metal wouldn't fit through there well. So just clean the metal filter and the drain bolt tip

• mxstate

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Only 1. On the second drain plug there is a metal mesh filter inside and metal wouldn't fit through there well. So just clean the metal filter and the drain bolt tip

By second you mean the one that is hidden behind the frame rail? i drained the engine yesterday and never realized (should have think about it anyway, not my first thumper :banghead: ) there's a metal mesh behind. I need to get my hands on the manual. 

I can't believe i am asking stuff like that but my new role of being a dad really took me away from countless hours learning every single detail about my bike. Need to be more careful though.

Thanks NB.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NBmotocross3

Posted October 01, 2013 - 01:41 AM

No problem! This is in the manual for my 2010 YZ250F which couldn't be much different.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1380620504656.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sorry, but the 250F is completely different.  There is no external oil tank on the YZ450, and no serviceable screen.

Ideally, you would use two magnetic drain plugs, one in both places.  But the forward plug won't generally collect as much as the rear one.  The rear is the more important because it's located in the sump, where the normal metal shed from the trans gets dropped.  That will intercept a lot of stuff before it ever makes it to the pickup screen to be returned to the oil reservoir in the front of the crankcase.

• mxstate

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Sorry, but the 250F is completely different.  There is no external oil tank on the YZ450, and no serviceable screen.

Ideally, you would use two magnetic drain plugs, one in both places.  But the forward plug won't generally collect as much as the rear one.  The rear is the more important because it's located in the sump, where the normal metal shed from the trans gets dropped.  That will intercept a lot of stuff before it ever makes it to the pickup screen to be returned to the oil reservoir in the front of the crankcase.

OK Thanks Gray

I went through the manual last night and kind of came ot the same conclusion after seeing some Engine X-sections and internal views.

I'll get only one and call it a day.

I found a little bit a small stuff after last oil change (second one since I traded my trusty YZ250) and I'd rather try to get as much as I can out of  the engine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.