Is the 2014 yz450f a big improvement from an 07?

18 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm thinking about buying a 2014 YZ450F in the near future. My friend/dealer said he would sell me one at cost, I've helped him out in the past, still have to pay tax and 75 bucks for setup. Works out to around 8500-8600 OTD in CA. read in MXA that the bikes come lean from the factorie and that it would be super lean in the winter. Doesn't the fuel injection system auto compensate for weather and altitude? They also complained about the front brake and linkage. Don't think I like the hidden gas cap, seems like a pain. 

• vlxjim

Posted October 01, 2013 - 12:34 PM

You get the GYTR programer ($230) and set the fuel and timing map were you need them. From there the ECU will adjust the fuel as needed for temp an altitude. Cool thing is you can have up to 9 maps that flash in seconds. So you can tune to different conditions and set the power were you want it. Hard to do on a non FI bike. Nice not to have to pull the carb anymore.

BTW I don't have a 14YZ but I do have a 12WR with the same type of FI and programing. And being a green sticker bike the EPA give lean a new meaning.

Edited by vlxjim, October 02, 2013 - 08:26 AM.

• Rooster72

Posted October 01, 2013 - 04:14 PM

I don't have one but I've heard there's a pretty bad hesitation in the bottom power range and it hasn't been figured out yet. I'd wait for a 15 or consider another product. 

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:17 PM

What's your source?

• perkybewbs

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Depends on what you like. The newer yamahas are notorious for having shaky front ends because the motor is tilted toward the back thus taking some of the weight off the front end. I've ridden and owned almost every brand. I've ridden Ktm but never owned. I would check out the Hondas, suzukis and ktm's too. Keep your options open. I am face palming every day for not considering everything.

• zeuszuki

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Being the owner of a '14 , what drugs are 'perkybewbs & Rooster72' on !?

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Maybe it's one of those parallel universe things.  Not sure how the '14 could be notorious for anything this early.

• SAthump

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:34 AM

YZ's have more front weight bias than any of the other bikes

When you charge hard into corners the front end feels more planted.

It's almost like it was designed to be a race bike !?!?

• vlxjim

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Depends on what you like. The newer yamahas are notorious for having shaky front ends because the motor is tilted toward the back thus taking some of the weight off the front end. I've ridden and owned almost every brand. I've ridden Ktm but never owned. I would check out the Hondas, suzukis and ktm's too. Keep your options open. I am face palming every day for not considering everything.

Tilting the cylinder back was to move the rotational mass of the cams to the center of the bike. This makes the bike feel lighter kind of like being in middle of a Gyro. And what Yamaha did was move the motor forward while rotating the cylinder back to keep the weight on the front more so than the previous YZ's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I love that.  "I've never ridden one, but I know people who know people who heard someone say that (whatever brand/model) gives you cooties.  You should buy the same thing I like. " 

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Tilting the cylinder back was to move the rotational mass of the cams to the center of the bike. This makes the bike feel lighter kind of like being in middle of a Gyro. And what Yamaha did was move the motor forward while rotating the cylinder back to keep the weight on the front more so than the previous YZ's.

Not. 

There is no significant rotating mass or gyro effect from the camshafts.  If there was, whether from the cams or any other part of the engine, you be able to pick both feet up and hold the bike upright at a standstill by bringing the RPM up a little. 

Gyroscopic effects depend on speed, mass, and the distance of the mass from the shaft center.  The cams turn at half the speed of the crank, weigh less than a pound and a half for both, and the only part of that weight that is more than a half inch from center is the sprockets. 

The cylinder was canted rearward to move the mass of the whole top end closer to the bikes center of gravity, making it easier to pivot the chassis in any direction around that center.

• galligar

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:51 AM

The 14 is better,it's #1 7 years newer,turns better,more power,fi,feels like a much lighter bike than it is when your riding it. does it turn better than a Honda no,but it's close,is it tall yes,but a inch shorter than the10-13 bike.The fork &shock are better then ever for avg. wt. rider.It's lean stock,remap with mxa map for socal.really good.I have a hot rodded 10 & a very trick 13 crf it's almost as strong with the remap & fmf pipe.If your a Yamaha guy this is your bike.All you need is cash.

• motoscotty

Posted October 02, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have not noticed any stumble or hesitation at all on mine at all, not sure where that came from...
In fact, the throttle response in comparison to my Honda is instantaneous!

I don't think you can compare the 14 to an 07 honestly. In the beginning I felt that my Honda cornered/ handled better as it is much lighter and a bit smaller.
Now with the YZ dialed, that is not the case! It turns on a dime and its stable at high speed... But it's still heavier, the only place I notice it is loading/unloading and putting it on the stand.

I would recommend a 14, just not dealing with the ac pump and jetting and getting the air boot back on...

• Family Man

Posted October 03, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'll set if the dealer can put the smooth/preston map at time of sale. The map is for pump gas right?

• YamaLink

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Heck, I thought the 08 was a big improvement from an 07.

• swaldrop

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ride the bike stock before you do ANYTHING to it. Everyone is going to provide you with what they have found to work for them. While the advice is good and should be taken in to consideration, having the dealer program a map in to the bike, prior to you ever riding it, and without the ability to change back, is not a good idea in my opinion.

When I first got my '11 I read all around about all the great maps and how they all did this or that. I bought a tuner and played around all day at the track, only to come back to stock. A Yoshi pipe was all it took for ME to be happy with the power at the track that I usually ride. 

• corndogg

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:02 PM

this might sound dumb but i changed out the rubber bar mounts on my 14 with aluminum ones and the front end felt allot better. got rid of high speed wobble and i feel more confortable with the front end. maybe its all in my head but it honestly feels like i am able to get more control and feedback from my bars.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:01 AM

The newer yamahas are notorious for having shaky front ends because the motor is tilted toward the back thus taking some of the weight off the front end.

:lol:

I just rode a head shake Honda this weekend --- if your think the new YZ's are shaky --- ride a Honda.

• galligar

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:30 AM

The head shake was/is caused by poor setup, have a 13 Honda set-up for my lbs. never had any ,buddies 14 yz after proper set-up same.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.