oil blowing out breather tub 07 yz450f

8 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I recently rebuilt the top end of my 07 yz450f, 20hrs ago on the meter. The Cylinder had no cross hacthing left, so I bought a ball hone and and honed the cylinder, put in a new piston and rings and timing chain, and had the head redone. maybe the cylinder was to far gone? It has begun blowing out oil from the breather. Are there any other things that can cause oil to blow out the breather besides worn rings/cylinder, I dont think its overfilled put in 1000cc of oil. The bike has tons of hours on it. Thinking if it does need a cylinder I might do the crank too and maybee big bore and stroker it to 500cc. 

• Family Man

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:05 PM

tearing it apart tonight

• Zimman

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:21 PM

if u didn't measure the bore I don't know why your did the rebuild ?  snap gauges are cheap at HF

even when your dropped the ring in and measured the end gap should have given you an idea if it was to worn for a hone

but it sure sounds like blow by from the rings

• Family Man

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:28 PM

It ran  good for 18 hours after the rebuild. Then I started noticing it was spraying oil out the breather tube. It doesn't smoke but I'm loosing oil. Figure teardown as most threads on this board point to blowby.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2013 - 07:46 AM

One of the hazards of running the cylinder too long is that the Nikasil can wear all the way through, and the rings start running on aluminum.  Not a good thing.

• Family Man

Posted October 11, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ordered a a new cylinder works cylinder and piston kit, standard bore and compression, should be good to go after that.  I think the old cylinder was just plain wore out. 

• rangerclass7sx

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Ordered a a new cylinder works cylinder and piston kit, standard bore and compression, should be good to go after that.  I think the old cylinder was just plain wore out. 

keep us posted

• Zimman

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thinking if it does need a cylinder I might do the crank too and maybee big bore and stroker it to 500cc. 

any conclusion  on the crank ?

• Family Man

Posted October 11, 2013 - 09:19 PM

crank is still with in limit side to side, and no up and down play. Hopefully it'll hold up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.