WR450F on MX track

12 replies to this topic
  • Andrew Puetz

Posted September 29, 2013 - 01:27 PM

So I was a little bored today and my kiddo was at Gma's so I thought I would get the bike out.  I live in Wisconsin, so I thought I better ride, as our window is closing for the year.  I opted to go to an MX track with some single track and figured I would do a little of each.  Usually I stick with State trails in MN and I have a ball but figured I would switch it up. 

So I get to the track, thinking maybe it would be empty as a neighboring track (45 min away) was having a big race this weekend.  I haven't been on an MX track in years so maybe it would be a good day on an empty course.  As luck would have it was packed.  I knew right away I was out of my element.  I have a 2012 WR450F with all the mods to make it a real bike, but I must have stuck out like a sore thumb because there was only headlight out of 50+ bikes... mine!  Oh well I thought.

I unloaded, and said to myself, what the heck, lets saddle up and see what I am made of.  After all I am a pretty good trail rider.  I certainly can hold my own..  So I waited until there was a gap in the pack and jumped on.  And within 50 yards, I was humbled.  I got caught in ruts, was awkward on jumps, and really was a mess all around.  Now I didn't adjust my maps, as I am used to the Woods Map, and thought I would adjust it later so I can compare if needed.  But long story short, with all the bikes out there, I struggled to finish my only lap without getting run over and went back to the truck. I couldn't get off of it fast enough. Not a good day to learn to ride the WR with all the traffic and I looked like I was more of a hazard out there. 

I finished up with some single track, which I enjoyed, but the trails were overrun and hard to find, not to mention they are harvesting maple syrup on all of the nicer trails, so you had to duck around all of the hanging piping.  So it ended up being a rough day all in all.

My question to everyone is, do any of you take your WR's to MX tracks regularly?  I would like to learn to ride them more, but wouldn't trade the woods for anything...  Let me know if any of you do and your experience with it.

Thanks everyone! Love my WR!!!!

• D-rek07

Posted September 29, 2013 - 01:58 PM

My primary riding is desert. I have done track many times, though. That is up until I broke my arm there. It does well but not as well as a race bike. It was still fun and I was able to clear all the jumps on the vet track, probably not the pro track, though. Here is a video of me out there.  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LhWbbFtL3_k

• barkbuster

Posted September 29, 2013 - 03:15 PM

I wouldn't even think about it

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 29, 2013 - 04:51 PM

What you experienced is typical.

Track speeds and aggression is way higher, and fast riders make the track harder for slow riders (deep berms and ruts).

You need to practice on your own " track " first, learning how to corner aggressively, and brake smoothly and deep into the corner.

You suspension needs to be much, much stiffer on the track too. Like C= + 5 and R  = + 3. 

You can adjust your clickers to get the bike to have about half the travel you are used to, then it will turn and hold a line better on the track, and you will be able to go faster with less weight moving around.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yeah my suspension was certainly not set up correctly...  I noticed that immediately.  I'm not sure if I will be down at a track anytime soon again...  let alone spend the time to keep adjusting my suspension to my liking.  Plus I am a little bigger guy at 200+lbs and that can make it a handful on its own.

It is interesting on the other side of things, as I was at a big trail ride a few weeks ago (500+ bikes) and you do see more MX bike in the woods than vice versa.  Although the WR's certainly have their strength there as we all know.  

• RMK800

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:55 PM

I noticed that also. I saw a big enduro race here for all the amateur divisions. The track/trail was definitely suited for WR or CRFX but 3/4 of the bikes were MX. I think it's kinda a culture, guys with MX bikes are looking for events and us trail riders don't need an event.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • L. Euler

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:24 PM

I take mine on the tracks at Durhamtown fairly regularly, but I tend to stay off the aggressive ones.  Almost snapped my neck shorting a double on their main MX race track. I think the only thing that saved me was my nuts on my throat absorbing the shock.

• WR 911

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:03 PM

START OFF ON A BEGINER TRACK OR A VET TRACK TO GET USE TO IT. HOLD TO YOUR LINES AND DIAL IN YOUR SUSPENSION SO IT CAN HANDLE THE JUMPS AND WOOPS. CONSENTRATE ON ONE PART OF THE TRACK AT A TIME THEN SOONER THAN LATER YOU WILL HAVE IT ALL DIALD IN. YOU WILL SOON BE JUMPING LIKE THIS.

Attached Thumbnails

• wr step up.jpg

Edited by WR 911, September 29, 2013 - 09:04 PM.

• Monk

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Not a WR but I take my KTM 500exc to the track on regular basis. Yes, I know its not setup for it at all but it does good enough for what's intended....That being said, their bikes setup for moto would be worse in the bush then our bikes setup for woods on the track....

• aussieklx

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:17 AM

Maybe ask this bloke lol

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=aNwmNZITdFw

• beezer

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:40 AM

I do it a few times a year.  I take it easy on the jumps but otherwise it's a fun bike.

Bike has a lot of power so clearing jumps isn't an issue.

• kawi380

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:11 AM

Moto'd the WR quite a bit, love passing guys and honking the horn.  Mine is street legal and it is still fun.

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:58 AM

The biggest issue besides the extra weight is the suspension. A decent track guy will have no problem taking the WR around the track and clearing the obstacles, its just with the soft suspenders the room for error isn't near as broad. The track is a great place to practice turns, ruts, line selections etc and will only benefit your riding the trails.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.